AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any comments about this unit? Good or bad.

How is the internal tuner?

I am considering one.

Thanks.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
not sure about the quality of this set. i was considering it until i found out it has NONO, ZERO, ZILCH video outputs. there goes any hope of recording HD in the future.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There have been a lot of comments in prior threads. Search on "38310".

In short, generally good picture, noisy fan (always on), a few quality problems.

Have one myself. Greatly prefer its 16:9 screen to a 4:3, so no real competition for a direct-view that size, though Loewe is supposed to be coming out with a set that uses the same 38" tube.

Frank

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This Set has no Firewire ports. So it cannot work with any new technogy that is coming this fall. New firewire productes coming this fall includes D-VHS, cable STB ETC.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wezar:
FYI - Goodguys online has them.
The local Best Buy has an "open Box Buy" for less http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, thank you for all the comments. I think this set does have its limitations obviously. The price reflects that, however. I guess you get what you pay for.

The Sampo sets look like a pretty safe bet also.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just purchased this set as my second HDTV. (My first is in my home theater, a TW56x81.) My Toshiba has been ISF'ed and has more detail than the 38310 on high definition, but overall i am very pleased with this set. The color and clarity is beautiful. I have and will continue to recommend this set to family and friends.

------------------

Patrick Simon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Blaney,

Be sure to warn them about the fan noise. It can be quite loud in a small room. The dealer reported that several had been returned for loud fans. (10% given the number in stock, so probably higher.)

I returned the first one for this reason; the second was worse (and with additional noises). The dealer exchanged it back for the first one after its fan had been replaced - still loud but minus the high-frequency component that had been so bad the first time around.

Funny thing is, I couldn't hear the fan noise of the demo on the showroom floor. Maybe it was the large room, no backing wall to reflect sound, and the high ambient noise.

Frank

·
Registered
88 Posts
Frank,

You are correct about the fan noise. I may not notice it as much because I am used to my DTC 100 that is hooked up to my Tosh... the only time I hear the fan is when the TV is off and it is quiet... maybe i got lucky and it is quieter than most. I certainly dont want to mislead anyone, but overall, i think this is a great buy, considering the tuner built in, and the large number of inputs..1 Direct TV, 2 antenna, 1 component, and 3 s-video. I am very pleased with overall pic quality. The brightness is very sufficient for my living room. (big bay window). Anamorphic DVD and HDTV are absolutley stunning on this set, IMHO. Just a side note, my in-laws suprised me tonight by calling and asking me to help them purchase one. they have also been impressed with my Toshiba, but it and the TW40H80 dont quite fit their room. We feel the 38310 will be perfect for them. The set is very user friendly as well.

------------------

Patrick Simon

·
Registered
289 Posts
I received the F38310 30 March 2001 after having it on order for several months. I put it in a glass Florida room where during the day the picture is not any better (as good as)then the Sony 32XBR200 that was setting there. In the evening and at night the picture is wonderful. I have connected to the set a RCA Progressive scan DVD player on the component input, a SAT T-60 TIVO PDR on one S-VHS input, a JVC S-VHS on another S-VHS port, a Toshiba 3109 DVD player on another S-VHS port. I output the sound from the set via TosLink optical to a Sony 5.1 channel receiver. The set has a very wonderful picture and sound with any of the inputs. Highly recommend the set for the price. I do not like the cabinet made for it for you have to put to components directly in the center of the cabinet for the cabinet curve in so fast their not room for components other then the very center. Limits you to hooking up three or four components depending on height of the components.

I do not recommend the set in a brightly lighted room however it is far better then a rear projection system in a bright room.

When the set is off the loud fan bothers me. Set on you do not hear the fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.