AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an F38310 (JX4). I don't have an elliptical DirecTV dish yet, so I set it up for OTA and with my DirecTiVo on SVID1. I had it scan the antenna channels, and it used a digital station to set its clock... to January 1980!!!

Or so it appeared. It won't let you reset it either.

I rescanned the antenna, and it set the clock correctly, but moments later it went black for a moment (which may have been unrelated since I was playing with channel guides and menus), then put the clock back to 1980 again! Worse, it still thinks it set it from an HD signal, and won't let me change it!!

Is my TV broken? Should I put in a service call?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Gee I get pissed when every power outage resets it back to 1970. Did you have a power outage in your area. If you did unplug the TV set for about 1 hour to drain the memory and clear the microprocessor.

Also take your remote batteries out and hold # 1 key down for 60 seconds to clear the Microprocessor this can be found on page 82 towards the bottom of your manual. I wish you good luck:)

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
rttrek,

The clock will automatically be reset based on the digital clock source from the broadcaster. I have seen this on my set and others have comfirmed seeing this also.

So, if the local broadcasters send an incorrect clock (date/time) it automatically gets set in the TV.

If you stay tuned to an analog station for a little while, the TV will eventually let you manually set the clock. But alas... next time you tune to the digital station, it resets again. You just have to either ignore it or complain to your local broadcaster.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Mine is still showing that it's 1970, I wonde why RCA had a default of 32 years ago. They didn't have aything close to digital at that time. I was 23 years old in 1970, all that was new was my new teeth I had to get for eating without brushing.

I am on www.sectv.com cable TV company.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, when I got home it had reset itself to the correct time and has been fine since.

As for why 1970, it wouldn't surprise me if the innards of this set are running Linux. UNIX and Linux maintain time in seconds since midnight of 1/1/1970. Thus, something clearing the time to 0 would have that effect. If a local station had their clock at zero when they last booted their timekeeping hardware, and it was running Linux or UNIX, then its clock would have started there and would be running ahead from then.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rttrek
Actually, when I got home it had reset itself to the correct time and has been fine since.

As for why 1970, it wouldn't surprise me if the innards of this set are running Linux. UNIX and Linux maintain time in seconds since midnight of 1/1/1970. Thus, something clearing the time to 0 would have that effect. If a local station had their clock at zero when they last booted their timekeeping hardware, and it was running Linux or UNIX, then its clock would have started there and would be running ahead from then.
All C run time Libraries, which Unix was built with, have the time_t data type for time storage. The OS doesn't have to be Unix based. Nearly all modern embedded software written over the last 10 years is written in C.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I just checked the clock, it's set for Friday 1/04/70. January the 4th 1970. My other clocks reset to 1999, but not to 1970. This is rediculis for a HDTV to reset before HDTV was even born!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.