AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know what the near future (2003) availability will be on the F38310? Will they keep producing them and or revising?

Anyone know if other manufacturers will be producing a comparable product in the 38" screen size DV format or larger?

Is anyone using a PC to surf the web on their F38310? I don't care about Webtv, only a regular pc and what kind of resolution can they view and how does it look? Very much concidering this set but don't know when I can pull the trigger. Sounds like best bang for buck. Thanks for any info...Jeff

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Well, it isn't listed as a product on RCA's site. All the literature has been archived. So, I would guess that as soon as current stock is gone, that's it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From quite a few posts written here I thought that the current generation of sets have had most of the problems resolved. It seems that if this is so this is a really great set to buy. Any opinions?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I've had my set since late October (YX5) and have had virtually no problems, and am extremely pleased with its performance. The only problem (and it really doesn't bother me) is the 'famous' barrell roll effect on the inputs. If you can still obtain an F38310, I highly recommend it. Most stores will give you a 30-day trial period. What do you have to lose? Go for it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
CC still has a few hundred in stock but after that they are gone for ever. :(

·
Registered
634 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I saw it at CC for $300 less than I paid for mine in September, and I thought I got a good deal. Of course, I was bummed that it was too late for me to get a price match.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Benji or Steve, are either of you hooking up a computer to your sets? If so what resolution and how does it look?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I don't own a PC. However, I have a WEBTV unit hooked to my F38310 thru S-Video, and the resolution as I look at it right now is excellent. I have seen many different HDTVs in many different elec. stores, and while I have never seen an HDTV I didn't like, I don't think I've seen any including the higher-end plasmas and Pioneers that I think has a nicer image than the F38310. It really is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
It really is the best bang for the buck.
This is really the key. You can get a better image of that size or larger, but you have to pay $10K or so to do it. For under $2K, it's a steal.

Recently with Circuit City offering it for $1500 plus throwing in a $100 gift card when you buy, and most CC customers got a 10% off a $200 or more purchase coupon, you could walk out of CC with the set plus a 3-year extended warranty (which you used the gift card to partially pay for) for about $1500 even.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jwheeler,

I haven't hooked it up to a computer. You'd have to buy a transcoder and feed it in the component port. Even then, your options would be limited in terms of resolution and frequency. Or, you could find a graphics card, like MyHD, that feeds component. That's one of the weaknesses of this set. Another is that there is no video output from the tuner, so the internal tuner can't drive a PJ or be used to record. I was willing to make those sacrifices, but I can understand why others would be willing to spend the extra money and get a separate HD/DirectTV tuner and a display with both computer and component inputs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks very much for this info. I guess I assumed it had a VGA port in the back which it must not. I noticed there are quite a few people getting deals on "open box" sales on this set. I wonder why there are so many returns on this unit. I would like to find one of these deals but I'm also concerned about the high return rate. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't think they are returns, my was a floor model. Since the unit is discontinued they take them of the floor no matter how many they have in stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same here. Mine was a floor model also. It was in one of the little viewing/listening rooms so it wasn't turned on very much. hence the low hours (
I have mine connected to a PC using an ATI Radeon 9500 with the component dongle. I can get resolutions of 856x480p and 1920x1080i on the desktop. Very clean output. I prefer the 856x480p resolution for web browsing/running PC apps etc because there is no flicker and it is much easier to read from across the room with the larger font sizes etc.

Razi921

·
Registered
21 Posts
This set does not have a DVI input.

My unit was returned by the previous buyer because they didn't like it that the fan was always on, even when the unit was turned off. Bad thing if you're sleeping where you watch, I guess.

This set is a great value. I bought mine in June. I still don't think there is anything out there that is even in the same ball park PQ wise. Unless of course you want to spend a few thousand $$$.

I connected my PC via an S cable from an ATI 8500 graphics card. PQ was OK @ 800x600. I'm gonna get a vga - component converter and see how that looks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Crouser,

Try to get the ATI Component dongle for the 8500 instead of a VGA to Component adapter. I have tried both and the PQ from the ATI component adapter is better. However, either adapter will easily be better than the S-Video output.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got this set and Love the PQ on it! Did a lot of homework before buying it but still finding out more and more about it daily. Just ordered my ATI Dongle For it too bad no overnight delivery!!! Can't wait!!!! I also have to go collect my GameCube and X-Box that I let my friends borrow so I can test them out on this TV!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was told from an inside source that the real reason how strange it might sound is that it was actually a close caption issue. Some organization threaten to sue for the lack of close caption options. :confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.