AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After five months of adapting to our RCA F38310, we've been able to fix (or learn to live with) all of its perverse "features" except for one... ghosting.

There is discernible horizontal ringing uniformly present for all input sources.

It is mostly non obtrusive but can be clearly observed as faint ghosting to the right of vertical bars in AVIA test patterns, and in other abrupt dark to light horizontal transitions, such as in viewing telephone poles or vertical window frames against a bright background.

Neither adjusting sharpness nor disabling SVM (by pulling the connector inside the set per DrJoe's excellent instructions) will completely cure this image defect.

Our SVM is off and our sharpness is at zero but we still see these faint ghosts under the right circumstances.

Have other F38310 users noticed this subtle effect, and has anyone figured out how to cure it, please?

Thanks!

-- rb

ps: Thompson techs in Indianapolis say "yeah, there's ringing, but it's a TV not a computer monitor... so you can't expect perfection"

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
None and I have over 14,000 hours on my odometer. Of course I am blissfully ingnorant of all the impurities you know about. I just want to enjoy the wide screen movies. Perfection is a word that most humans want but can't have.

In Star Trek: First Contact it's 200 years into the future, and they still have problems. Pefection is word that descibes one or more points of view but not all.

I prefer not finding dot crawl, red push, EE, chroma bug, and all these things you know about, see them then get all upset. I just want to watch the wide screen movie.:)

P.S I hope you find your ghosting problem before you blow off at your wife or someoe else, this type of stress harms the body and causes ulcers and the like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Hob,

Sorry to hear that. And yes I have the same thing, but not as extreme as yoru case. And FYI, those Thompson reps are one of the biggest reasons I am selling my 38310. Apathy never goes over well with me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't really noticed it on mine, but I also haven't really looked... I have had mine for 3 weeks now... so far so good. However, if my TV becomes inindated the problems which seem to plague this set, I will definatley look into talking to a lawyer about a class action suit, to ensure that rca finds permenant fixes for these problems, or replaces the TVs with a better set... Any lawyers out there wanna make some money from RCA/Thompson?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would gladly participate in such a law suit. I think a company needs to make good on the items they sell, and I get it apathetic attitudes from the Thompson/RCA reps. They can't fix it so they don't do anything further..they actually called the side distortion on my RCA "a known feature". I was stupified. LOL

I am selling my RCA, it still has 4 years on the warranty, and I will let the buyer see the picutre before they take it home..but soon enough I won't have it. But I will still be interested in making hte company pay attention. I have to sell this set at an extreme loss when I should not have to. I think consumers really need to band together more and send a very clear and very loud message to the industry that this type of business practice is not acceptable.

I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have ghosting on my 1 month old F38310 (YX5). It is noticeable

on the right side of any dark->light left to right transition. It is also

noticeable near the black/grey bar. If anyone figures out how to

fix that please let me know.

I set my sharpness to zero, contract to low, and SVM is disabled via

disconnect the little cable inside the set.

The barrel roll effect seems only noticeable when there is a ticker symbol

rolling across the screen. I never noticed it any other time.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am crippled but I don't have any ulcers that was just sound medical advice I gave to the user.

O/T I work with naturals on anti aging thru natural nutrtion, that's my other hobby I do research on. I took a summer course down at the YMCA in 1963, that turned out to be 2 year course. One thing we had to agree on was that even during the summer, we would go on field trips on Saturday for root, herb, flower and tree leaf identification. I take about 34 herbs, naturals, enzymes, and Amino Acids that which the body slowed down on, after optimal age of 23.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.