AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many members of this forum have had some problems with this set. Well, now you can add me to the list. My screen does that annoying stretch and squeeze on the far left and right sides, and the gray bars are bowed. I've read where some have had their sets replaced 2 or 3 times--not sure if for same reasons. What I'm wondering is: can these problems be fixed(by authorized RCA tv repair shops), or will the set 'have to' be replaced?

Unfortunately, I'm not well versed in tv tech terms, nor have I ever had to have any home elecronic device repaired--usually by the time it breaks, it's time to get a new one. I'm not certain how I should proceed. I am hoping that those of you, who've gone through this(with the F38310), can give me some guidance. Please be as specific as you can.

Most appreciative,

JediMastr

BTW, model #F38310JX4, purchased June 2001

------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jedi are you sure the "squeeze" you are referring to isn't due to the fact that the tube isn't perfectly flat?I'm not sure what you are trying to say your set is doing.I see a little bit of a distorted image on a 16x9 picture on the edges but it seems to me its because of the tube.My gray bars are perfectly straight.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I don't know any other way to describe the effect, but I'll try. Imagine a straight line of same-sized circles from one end to the other. Their height stays consistent, but the circles, on the far left and right, appear much thinner. I don't think it's because the tube's not flat...well, not directly anyway. I guess there's some distortion on any screen, but this is so pronounced it's distracting! The gray bars are bowing inward in the middle. You'd think because the tube's rounded, they'd bow outward. Maybe this is some sort of 'over adjustment' to compensate. Also I'm noticing that, on a pure white screen, the left side has a sorta 'very light' brownish tint. My screen's not dirty, and my speakers are shielded with about 4" in between them and the monitor. It seems to me that these quirks should be correctable by a tv technician--but what do I know? I figure someone on this forum is qualified to advise me. Am I going to have to have this set replaced? I can't take it back, I ordered it online and burned the box(I live out in the country). Anyone who's gone through this please post your experiences and advice.

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had the exact same problems with my replacement 38310 TV- including the brownish color- mine however is just a 2 inch line running down the center right of the screen. The effect is even more pronounced on a solid blue screen.

I had a tech guy come immediately when I found these problems (two months ago). He said the TV need a replacement part. RCA refused to give him the part for over a month and a half. Finally I contacted RCA myself. After 3 phone calls I got a RCA rep to examine the case. She did and got RCA parts to call my tech. RCA then told the tech that they would not give him the parts until he tried some other "technical adjustments." He came today. Looked at the set and adjusted the brightness (like that would solve the problems??). Obviously this did nothing. He agreed and said he would be in contact with me in a few days.

It appears that there is no simple fix (or my tech guy is a complete idiot. I will keep you informed - but my guess is that the replacement part probably won't fix the set either!

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
56 Posts
All of the sets I have seen (5) have these problems, some worse than others.

1. Brown or blue in the corners

2. Bowed vertical edges on the gray boarders

3. Bad squeeze on the outer 1†of either side of the screen

4. Slight squeezing and stretching across the screen.

My set has a little of each, but I find #4 most bothersome on panning scenes. Most of us are still happy with our sets and unfortunately have learned to live with these problems. I had my 1st set taken back by Best Buy for these reasons. My 2nd set had a real flaw. My 3rd set was actually slightly worse than my 1st. But, I still like the set and would rather have it that a smaller “perfect†34†or a larger rear screen. Some of these problems, #2 and #3?, might be adjusted by a competent service technician that had a service manual and the correct equipment. We are all waiting to here from someone who has had these specific problems corrected before we call RCA service.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It looks like a design deficiency. Its probably the tube and/or whatever's driving the electron guns. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ashleyjay,

You're right, a solid blue or gray screen shows just how pronounced this tinting thing can get. Now I see it on both sides of the screen...sheeesh! RCA needs a new QC staff, if they have one at all. I mean...c'mon, $2500+ and we can't get acceptable performance? This seems like a wide-spread problem, why no re-recall? Someone out there has the cure to what ails me...but where is he/she?

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to rub it in but my 38310 is amazing.I bought mine in april of this year and had it replaced a week later because of some phosphorous that had chipped off the tube.Other then that my first set had none of the problems I have heard others reporting.Jedi I think if you press RCA they will replace your set if it is still within the warranty period(when did you purchase it and did you register your warranty?)The warranty is one year for labor,one year for parts and two years for tube.Call 1-877-RCA-HDTV is the only thing I can suggest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. Brown or blue in the corners

2. Bowed vertical edges on the gray boarders

3. Bad squeeze on the outer 1†of either side of the screen

4. Slight squeezing and stretching across the screen.

Last fall, all the F38310's were yanked off the store shelves because of this (#1 above) problem with the 38" picture tube. I wonder where these with #1 are coming from? Or, have they not really fixed the problem?

I have my first replacement set due for delivery next week. Humm???

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
denhdtv,

The only reason I'm holding-off on calling RCA for a replacement, is that many have tried that avenue to no avail. Oh they get a replacement, but they have the same problems. Count your blessings. You got your set in April, I got mine in June(delivered July)--I guess somewhere around and in-between this time they accidentally got a few right;-) Wish mine had been one of them!

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.