AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Proscan replacement HDTV. There are several problems with the picture...appears out of focus...in 4:3 material there is a bending of the picture on the left side(pincushioning?)...in the service mode, all of the various test patterns are shifted to the right about 2 inches...and there seems to be a convergence problem with phase grids on the right side. This poor convergence seems apparent when viewing any type of picture material. Has anyone experienced a degradation in picture quality from the original set? I'm also having a difficult time finding an authorized tech who knows anything about the set. The tuner seems better and the fan is not as loud as the original.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
CJ, sorry but it sounds like that set has a more serious problem than simple convergence mis-adjustment. I would love to have that set in my study here to replace my 32 inch Sony, but I had two Thomson RPTVs before I had to get rid of both of them and get a Sony RP. Much as I hate to say it, Thomson's quality control and standards are just not even in the ball park. I don't see how they stay in business, as many recalls and exchanges they must have!

I'm not anti-Thomson; their DTC-100 hasn't missed a best here in 11 months, but their monitors seem to be terrible risks as far as QC.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got my ProScan replacement last week. The fan noise is about the same as before and HD over Time-Warner cable still looks fantastic. However, the set does seem to be different. In order to achieve the same picture I had before, the picture settings are significantly different. I don't know if this is due to the color purity fix or perhaps no two sets are alike.

In 4:3, the picture bows in slightly on the left. This was the case previously and I have seen it mentioned before in this forum. There doesn't appear to be a fix for it. Fortunately this doesn't bother me too much as long as it gets no worse.

What does bother me is this: I am now getting considerable noise and interference on my non-hd cable channels. I know cable reception is often poor, but my previous set exhibited no such problem. The problem is particularly bad on the analog channels. I'm pretty sure I had the video noise filter turned off on the old set, but even with it on at the moderate level I still have the problem with the new one. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention the noise that's apparent on non-HD material. On the original set, the noise filter was set to off or low...can't remember. Now I must put it to high in order to get a picture that resembles the original set's picture. I'm interested in what you have to say about the bowing on the left side of the screen. Why can't this be fixed? Also, when I go into the service mode and the white raster screen, the original set would fill the screen. On the replacement, it misses filling the screen on the left side by about a 1/4"...is this adjustable and is it connected to the bowing effect? A tech is coming on Thurs. To me there is a convergence problem in addition to the other complaints I've mentioned. I've had to significantly change picture settings to achieve close to what I had before. It seems as if the saturation levels of the colors have been raised significantly...too much.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I received my replacement F38310. I have some overscan and tuner strength issues (old set 88 new set 76)however my convergence is right on (that was a problem with the old set). Report the problem to RCA via the phone. They will want a service guy to come out and agree that the set needs replacing, you really do not need him to do anything. On the RCA site follow the link for help from an expert in your area. The ones listed with a star in the list are premier service centers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to hookup an F38310 so I might record from the internal DirectTV tuner to a vcr or tivo? I just want to be able to record regular DirectTV programming and don't see the appropriate connections on the rear of the set. Is the reworked version of this set reliable? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could I use this set with a computer in a later time? Would their be any burn in like projection sets?

This RCA set will fit in my disabled apartment tv quite well, I won't be using the TV speakers at all. Since 1994 I have been using a Sennheiser Pro-logic 5 sounds into headphone for Dolby Pro-logic surround. Any fan sounds wouldn't be heard at all.

I have printed all the specs up, where to buy is the next question.

There is a Best Buy about 25 miles away, anybody have any trouble with best buy in 30 day return?

No SVGA input and only one component set, I don't think I'll be using the phone connection, I have no idea what an access card will be for. I plan later on to buy a Sima Electronic Component switcher. I was given details on hooking up an switcher with breakout cables, which I had purchased. I returned them when one Avs member said that my Sima Svs-4 would not be a true 75 ohm coax cable.

Any other advice will be appreciated, should I purchase extended warranty?

I hope this type of posting is better than I used to do. I was warned by the moderator, that was enough. I will change my attitude so I an keep on posting here at the avs forum. Only when it's necessary for years to come, not to bash anyone or any product!

------------------

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just go my replacement -

1) The left side in 4/3 mode is curved - I did not notice this on my old set. Has anyone contacted RCA about this - is there a fix

2) How do I check if there is a convergence problem?

thanks

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.