AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a search on RCA's new F38310 and didn't find anything. Has anyone here seen one of these yet or seen any reviews on them?

Thanks

Dave W.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
The RCA F38310 HDTV I ordered August 16, 2000 came a week ago Friday. I spent most of Friday evening setting it up. I could not get it to acquire local channels or COX cable channels. It would acquire a terrible ghost image for three of the 60 channels off of COX cable. The set that was setting there was a Sony Vega 32XBR200 and it had a perfect reception on all channels. I hooked up a Super VHS VCR and attached it to the RCA and via S-video input the RCA had a perfect picture. The VCR had no problem with the COX channels. At 2:30 AM I decided to wait until morning and call the RCA 800 number. I turn on the set Saturday morning when I was about to call and it had a perfect picture on the last channel I had attempted to tune the night before. I then was able to successfully acquire all the COX channels and over the air NTSC channels.

The stand for the RCA came to the local dealer last November. The set arrived Thursday. The two are a perfect match so the person saying the RCA set had changed the appearance of the front and the set did not match the stand must not be correct. Although the stand appears huge components only will fit in the very center of the stand for the stand curves inward too much. This limits you to about three components. Real bummers for you need a component cabinet setting next to the set.

Although the picture is wonderful on Direct channels 199 and 509 HDTV the rest of the channels are not any better then on the Sony Vega 32XBR200 I had perviously. My RCA F38310 is in a brightly lighted glass room so during the daytime the picture is not very bright when set to the optimum nighttime viewing setting and the Warm setting. I think that is why the Sony flat screen Vega has the better picture on normally Direct or cable NTSC signals. Also the Sony Vega has a better picture watching DVDs on my Toshiba 3109 interlace DVD player. The Sony Vega compresses the signal on widescreen DVD to give a better concentration of lines in the middle. If I had not wanted the 16X9 picture and built in HDTV tuner I would have bought the SONY 36XBR400 or the just coming out SONY 36XBR450 and a set top HDTV tuner.

I really having trouble getting use to the fan noise on the RCA when the set is turn off. Most problem is listening to my wife complain about having to put up with the sound.

Overall I believe the RCA F38310 was a good buy from the integrated sets on the market today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.