AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-------Background

I have a 52" RCA I got back in 2006 or so and it has worked like a charm no problem, I usually ran SD sources to it and never expected much from the quality.

I lent it to my nephew for about 2 years and recently got it back from him and when I hooked up a DVI source(computer, does not have HDMI input either) I noticed that it was very blurry and that there was convergence issues in different locations around the screen.

I approached the screen and was viewing downward almost parallel to the screen and I noticed that the top edge of the screen was rippled, with about 2 peaks and troughs from edge to edge.

Intrigued I went around all edges and noticed that the screen edges on all four sides were slightly rippled.

I took the outer shell off the front and looking at the viewing surface I noticed that it was concave, but not in a evenly distributed way.

I removed the viewing screen and placed in on the kitchen table and sure enough it is concave.

---------Questions

1) is this normal?

to me it seems abnormal because the mirror surface is flat and it seems as if the viewing screen has sagged over time

2) what can I do to correct this?

The one idea I had was to place it in the bed of my truck and let this horrendous Texas heat be put to good use and see if it can absorb enough heat to "fall" back to being flat, or using a clothes iron on low heat and just slowly try to put enough heat for the plastic to relax back to a flat shape

--------

Thanks for any help or experience you can pass along, also is there a technical term for what happened so I can try and find some solutions, my main issue is I don't have an easy way of describing what is going on and it makes searching a pain.

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Every where I read about this issue people are suggesting a convergence board issue.

Like I stated above, it seems to be the actual screen itself is curved

Does anyone have any good links to pictures of rear projection tvs disassembled with descriptions?

I know each one is different, but before I do anything crazy I want to confirm a few things about RPTVs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.