AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am posting this for a family member. They have this set, the RCA HD52W59, an older 1080i rear projection unit. Apparently the tv powered itself off while working normally. When I went over to there house to have a look at the unit, it would not power on.

Pressing the power button leads to the power light illumination for 3 seconds or so, followed by some crackling noises, and the smell of a fresh circuit board (or a frying one) and then the tv powers down.

Nothing comes up on screen. I had them unplug the set, and told them I would check in here at AVS in case this is common. It seems like the set is dead though. Not sure if its worth fixing, unless its somthing really inexpensive and easy.

Anyone hear of this? Any insight?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I had to fix this numerous times on mine. When you turn the tv on and it makes the crackling sound it is a solder connection arcing on one of the boards. I removed the lower back panel and could see it arcing. It's a grey rectangular part on the left board looking from the rear. I just pulled out the board enough to get in the soldering iron and resoldered the one spot and it was fine. Did this two more times over the years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts