AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got this 36 inch rca hi res tv, 2 vga inputs (1 computer 1 hdtv)... to my dissapointment the component inputs are NOT progressive scan, is there any thing i can do do get a better dvd player quality? does running a dvd player on my pc into the VGA input help any? im not so much confused, just more dissapointed, any way of getting dvd into the VGA's!?!?

Ham Bone

·
Registered
827 Posts
I assume you mean the MM 36110. I have one. Are you sure the component inputs aren't progressive, I'm not using them?

The internal de-interlacer stinks. The combing and fill are horrible. I run SVGA from a laptop using WinDVD or Ravisent. You will see a tremendous difference. The picture is really quite good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i read that they arent progressive, really dumb, heh, guess ill think about getting a dvd player for my pc, would i need any extra software to make it look awsome?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the Proscan model which is the same. I have the PC hooked up througth the computer VGA input running at 800x600. The DVD picture using ZP (windvd filters) looks great. It blows away a component (non-progressive) SA DVD player.

I have heard that you can connect the PC into VGA input 2 (the one labeled digital tv). You can get higher resolution this way. I am not sure what the exact resoltution is, so I have not tried it yet. Using Powestrip, you could adjust the PC resoltution to perfectly match the input.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
the 36100 (one I have and probably you have) does not have capability to sync progressive inputs on the component inputs - The later models do as noted by occammd. As far as dvd playback goes - its awesome for me using the pc and a standard dvd drive. I have tried windvd and the ati dvd player and powerdvd. I just ordered theatertec - not that I mind any of the others (the picture quality on all is fabulous) - just looking for other features.

Watching a DVD through the component inputs on non progressive scan was truly an agonizing experience - I'm sure that the software dvd is as good or better than the separate progressive with the exception of items such as the need (or option) to program the remote controls and what on-screen displays and controls you have. I took my progressive scan dvd back the same day I bought it.

As far as the two vga inputs on the 36100 - they are identical in resolution and capability. One (intended for computer) defaults to different default settings to make text look sharp but you can change that in the tV setup.

I use my second vga for the HiPix display - although I could just as well use loopback this allows me to switch inputs

·
Registered
752 Posts
"As far as the two vga inputs on the 36100 - they are identical in resolution and capability."

Are you sure this is true? How can the second VGA input accept a 1080i signal, if it is just capable of 800x600?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkan24
Are you sure this is true? How can the second VGA input accept a 1080i signal, if it is just capable of 800x600?
Thats' 800x600 progressive, which would equate to 1600x1200 interlaced.

You do have a few options (other than HTPC). I did use that method in the past, but got tired of the inconvience of HTPC.

I now use the Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan DVD player via the Audio Authority Component to VGA adapter.

You can also pick up a few HK DVD players that support Progressive scan directly with a VGA out. Do a search for Skyworth VGA and you'll get lots of information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any chances of finding a dvd player with vga out here in the states? im not a fan of connection converters =) but if it comes down to it

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bootz

Thats' 800x600 progressive, which would equate to 1600x1200 interlaced.
Wouldn't that equal 800X1200i? Only the vertical is doubled by interlacing. 800*1080=864,000 pixels which is what the monitor is rated at by RCA.

Actually, when you hook up a DTC-100 you get 800X1080i on 720p or 1080i source HD and 540p on NTSC via a line doubler in the DTC. There is no integrated line doubler in the monitor.

I use the monitor with dScaler and TheaterTek w/ an ATI Radeon 7500 and love the picture. I used my AV receiver to do the svideo switching. 800X600X32bit 60hz and it looks great. No need to mess with powerstrip since that is 600p, where 1080i is the equivelant of 540p. You cannot not do better than 800 horizontal on this TV.

Per RCA tech support, the HD input supports a higher refresh rate than the VGA input. Components only handle 640X480i... standard NTSC. Horrible scan lines IMO.

I love mine. Especially for FOOTBALL! dScaler Rules!! :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
ok, I am confused here. Is 800x600 really better than the hdtv resolution you can get if you hooked up a dtc-100?

I am reading the manual and here it states:

lines per picture height: 655

lines per picture width: 875

multi-sync scan modes HDTV: 1280x1080 interlaced

not sure what all this means. I am really hoping to squeeze out a few extra lines of resolution using powerstrip. Can this be done or not?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Scott,

How do you like the DTC-100? I understood that it only put out 540p. How does the line doubler look?

Does the picture look good with DirecTV given the compression losses?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkan24
ok, I am confused here. Is 800x600 really better than the hdtv resolution you can get if you hooked up a dtc-100?

I am reading the manual and here it states:

lines per picture height: 655

lines per picture width: 875

multi-sync scan modes HDTV: 1280x1080 interlaced

not sure what all this means. I am really hoping to squeeze out a few extra lines of resolution using powerstrip. Can this be done or not?
Ok.. are we still talking about the 36100 or the DTC-100? :) The 36100 takes 720p and 1080i and displays it as 800x1080i. It scales the image. The DTC-100 produces true 1080i when hooked up to a true HDTV (16x9). Most of the ProScan line has a DTC-100 built into the TV.

The 36100 is limited to 800 horizontal pixels. So, the only other mode is 800x1080i or 800x540p besides the 800x600p computer resolution. I can't explain as technically as others whom post here but 540p is essentially the same as 1080i. 1080i will apppear a touch sharper but with more artifacts (z-bars) than a progressive mode (540p) since it is interlaced.

As far as the DTC-100, I like the unit but ONLY use is for 1080i sources. I watch all other sources using dscaler/wintv/radeon. dScaler blows away the linedoubler. I got the DTC-100 for $250 so I do not mind that it sits and collects dust. I bring out a 19" during the NFL season and use it then some too! :D

UltimateTV + dScaler rules! No movement in dark shots, distant objects are shaper, and you have the options to make any source look it's best. The DTC-100 is one-size-fits-all so to speak. Sports and movies are much better than the DTC. The DTC does have great color and much less electrical noise than the WinTV card.

Of course... nothing from the UltimateTV will come close to 1080i or DVD. :)

When my friend who has a ProScan comes over, he snickers at my HD but is jealous of football! :cool:

I'm happy! You can see a bad picture of my setup here: http://www.avsforum.com/PhotoPost/index.pl?photo=419

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.