AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to post where I saw it. (Just in case it is not allowed. But if it is allowed let me know and I'll post it)

But I called them and they said they had them in stock and ready to ship. They are in New York but only do mailorder no retail spot. I was hoping to see one.

Has anybody seen it yet? What are your thoughts? Do you know of someplace in the NY area that has one on display?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
PLEASE! I very much want to get a look at this set, so if anybody knows where to find one in retail in the SF Bay Area, post it here!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
$5108 + shipping is listed at www.advancedvideosystems.com. These guys don't take credit cards, fyi. I believe they are quite legit and they've been around for quite awhile. But I've never personally done business with them.

Mark

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
To those of you who have seen one of these -- how's the viewing angle? More like RPTV, or more like direct-view?

I'm interested, but don't care for the limited viewing angle of RPTVs.

Alex

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
More like direct view than most RPTVs, but it is not a direct-view TV and won't fool you into believing it is one.

Mark

·
Registered
85 Posts
I spoke with Richard today at Copperbox.com. This set is supposed to ship to me from RCA in Indy, IN this week!!! Cannot wait! Will post when the set is up & running.

Greg

·
Registered
85 Posts
NO! I am very anxiously awaiting it. Supposedly it is being shipped Direct from RCA, but haven't seen it yet. Copperbox.com assures me it is coming soon. I will definitely post again when I get it.

Greg

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, I hope you get it RSN. If so, it will be far more reassuring than the Samsung fLCD, which is seemingly approaching permanent vaporware status.

I wonder if the LCOS will be real good, and they really did delay it for quality reasons or whether it is just damned hard to build one of these things in an RPTV for any reasonable amount of money at any reasonable level of quality (see D'Ahlia for similar issues).

I hope your TV comes soon and looks so great that you can't stop raving about it :).

Mark

·
Registered
842 Posts
Last week i got to spend several hours with a late pre-production model. This unit has great potential. Many thanks to the person who allowed me to play with this unit.

Wide viewing angle.

Absolutely perfect convergence (less than 1 pixel off in any direction anywhere on the screen)

No barrel or keystone problems. (unless you mess with

the mirrors, then you can make a real mess)

100 watt long life UHP bulb. (about $400 my guess)

Dual tuners including ATSC tuner and directTV dish input.

This unit and units like it (d-ahila if i ever see one, and the

Zenith version, bigger but the same thing) are about to

ring the death bell for crt based rear projectors.

Measured contrast ratio of about 250:1 (Colorfacts)

Only downsides are that the case is very light weight and a little flimsy, and during shipping i have a feeling that the mirrors are going to get misaligned. Other downside is that for people who smoke, the smoke will very easily get on the mirrors.

(The same is true of just about every CRT RP)

I never really liked rca much over the years ( i worked at zenith)but this product and the direct view 38 CRT set are both outstanding products.

This will most likely be my new family room HD set.

Lots of tweakables in the service menus :)

·
Banned
93 Posts
I saw this model at the CES last year. It was the show stopper. I will buy when it becomes available. Please report when you receive it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kevin:

Your post is good news. If the vapor ever materializes, I look forward to seeing a product unit too. I am pretty well committed to plasma right now, but, hey, can always switch if warranted.

Mark

·
Banned
93 Posts
I doubt any consumer will be receiving a Scenium L 50000 before December, based on what one large dealer told me. Showrooms (Circuit City, BestBuy, Sears and BrandsMart) , however, should have a display unit by the end of this month. I have been trying to buy one during the past three months.

My read is that Thomson has some problems in ramping up production in its new Mexico plant. Another factor is that a DirecTV receiver is included with the display and DirecTV may be holding up the release for a later joint advertising campaign. Maybe, Thomson is also working on how the new Sceniums will also be easily convereted to the new HDCP 5C standards that will be introduced later in 2002.

Expect prices to be in the $5,000 range at discount retailers. This is less than 1/2 the price of similar size plasma and is much brighter and higher resolution with full 120 degree view. Since it's native 720p, no other unit will match it for viewing sports and other action video.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Can anyone who has seen this set compare it to the Panasonic 52" DLP in terms of Brightness, Black level, and viewing angle?

If you are saying that it is a better picture than Plasma it would blow the DLP's away! Too bad they didn't put a way to record from the built in tuner :mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like most people I'm very interested in Greg's review of this unit when he gets it. Additionally I'm interested in any information from those that have seen demos. Specifically I'm interested in the following points:

1) Ability to display a crisp/high resolution image of a PC Desktop.

2) Feedback on how fast motion looks on LCD. I like to watch football and hockey and I've heard that LCD has trouble with fast motion, but perhaps it has been addressed somehow in this unit.

3) Feedback on viewing angle issues. I've heard that LCD doesn't do too well when viewed from the side. Once again perhaps this been addressed somehow.

Thanks.

Sean

·
Banned
93 Posts
Panasonic is based on display engines from Texas Instruments using digital light processing tech where Thomson uses the hottest new display tech, LCOS, developed by Three-Five Systems and its partners.

Both are revolutionary display engines that should change the entire display industry for both CE and PC (large display) usage.

Price wise, the LCOS displays are about 50% cheaper than DLP and plasma for similar or better quality/size.

My read is that the whole display industry for units of 25" and beyond will be switching to LCOS within 18 months, when volume orders pick up and the display industry ramps up production.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTVisCool

Price wise, the LCOS displays are about 50% cheaper than DLP and plasma for similar or better quality/size.

My read is that the whole display industry for units of 25" and beyond will be switching to LCOS within 18 months, when volume orders pick up and the display industry ramps up production. [/b]
In light of the fact both RCA & Samsung have been trying to get LCOS out the door for the better part of a year, and neither have been able to produce a satisfactory product (in their own opinion) and other companies have vested interests in different technology (D-ILA, LCD, plasma, DLP) it's improbable "the whole display industry for units of 25" and beyond will be switching to LCOS within 18 months", if ever.

If it can be perfected, LCOS does have a healthy future, but it must first catch up to the other more mature solid state display technology.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTVisCool
Panasonic is based on display engines from Texas Instruments using digital light processing tech where Thomson uses the hottest new display tech, LCOS, developed by Three-Five Systems and its partners.

Both are revolutionary display engines that should change the entire display industry for both CE and PC (large display) usage.

My read is that the whole display industry for units of 25" and beyond will be switching to LCOS within 18 months, when volume orders pick up and the display industry ramps up production.
There are some other technologies in the works that offer the promise of superior display technology. By comparison, LCOS offers lower contrast than some other technologies, although this aspect may be improved in time. Also, as I understand the RCA materials, LCOS converts incoming to 720P, which might explain why I thought the pic looked a bit soft at CEDIA.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.