AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I heard from a RCA rep at my local BB last weekend that there would be some announcements on June 11/12th...He said it would be worth waiting for.

Ed Betty

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw a Phillips LCoS RPTV at the SID show in San Jose yesterday.

Best RPTV I have seen, even better than the Panasonic DLP.

I generally don't like RPTV's but this one didn't even look like projection, it looked like there was a panel emitting the light. People kept circling around it, obviously changing their viewing angles as though they were looking for a flaw.

The colors were also excellent. Pastels, which I generally find missing from RPTV's and FPTV's, were strong and pure yet delicate. No notice of any artifacting (the machine was 720P native and running 720P source material from ABC).

If the RCA is like this it will be a winner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
RCA's 50" LCOS set is now shown on their website ( http://www.rca.com ) along with several new direct, projection, and plasma models. They call the new productt line "Scenium", which sounds a bit silly IYAM.

I see no pricing on the LCOS set. Anybody have any guesses as to what the appoximate street price for one of these will be. I want/need a thin 40-50" set for the master bedroom, but can't afford a 5000-8000 plasma set.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well, initial reports from CES 2001 said the RCA LCOS will be around $6000-$8000 MSRP. Who knows, the JVC D'Ahlia has a street price about $3k lower than at CES, and the Samsung fLCDs have about a $1500 lower street price than CES MSRP announcements. That still would likely put the RCA LCOS out of your reach in price, SmokeBringer.

BTW, yes, I agree, "Scenium" sounds a bit silly. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by El Pollo:
Well, initial reports from CES 2001 said the RCA LCOS will be around $6000-$8000 MSRP.
I'm surprised that it would be that expensive. I don't see why someone who is looking in that price range wouldn't go with a plasma display. I'd be interested if it were in the 3000.00 range, which would put in in between direct/projection and plasma.

We'll just need to wait and see, I guess.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeBringer:
RCA's 50" LCOS set is now shown on their website ( http://www.rca.com ) along with several new direct, projection, and plasma models. They call the new productt line "Scenium", which sounds a bit silly IYAM.

I see no pricing on the LCOS set. Anybody have any guesses as to what the appoximate street price for one of these will be. I want/need a thin 40-50" set for the master bedroom, but can't afford a 5000-8000 plasma set.

RCA's press release lists a MSRP of $6999 or $7499, depending on which release from 07/11/01 you read. It does seem a bit high, but the price point slots in right between their RPTV HDTVs and their plasma models.

The Press releases all agree that it will be available 'later' this summer.

------------------

Steve Black

·
Registered
236 Posts
SmokeBringer,

Well first of all a 50" plasma has a MSRP of $15,000 ($10,000-11,000 street). Second, I would like a display that will not be vulnerable to burn in. The LCOS system is not affected by burnin, while plasma is very susceptible.

------------------

Stop DFAST

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MattNelson:
SmokeBringer,

Well first of all a 50" plasma has a MSRP of $15,000 ($10,000-11,000 street). Second, I would like a display that will not be vulnerable to burn in. The LCOS system is not affected by burnin, while plasma is very susceptible.

Yeah, I know...just wishful thinking on my part RE the $3000.00 number <GGG>.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
From Copperbox.com

Should begin to ship about July 27 for arrival August 1 or 2. Very popular unit! We will beat anyone's advertised price on this unit delivered.

Thanks for writing!

--Reichard

·
Registered
434 Posts
fcsmith -

What other site had comments about this HDTV from an RCA guy. I would love to read what is going on there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just saw that RCA has the LCOS owner's manual in pdf on the rcascenium site. Look under the "instruction book" link on the L50000 part.

Ron

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Any word on a larger (say, 61" or 65") version? 50" is just not sufficient for my room.

Also, is there a good link to a comparison between this 3-panel unit and something like the D'Ahlia with its single panel "hologram" color filter?

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Saw the RCA LCOS today at an RCA dealer show. Picture quality was great, but it was not a production piece. It has a retail price of $6995, the replacement bulb is $250 with an expected life of 10K hrs. It has a built in DTC-100.

It displays 720P x 1280. It is a 3 chip design with no convergence needed. They were talking about a 4th qtr delivery.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Greg C Have you seen the Panasonic PT-52DL10? If you have how would you compare it to what you saw at the RCA Show?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.