AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to dimly remember reading something about this with some other sort of LCD technology (like a laptop or something) way back when. If I remember correctly, they were saying that if you left the same image on the screen for a really long time, then when it finally changed you might see the old image "stick" for awhile, but that it would eventually (within seconds or minutes) recover without permanent damage.

It would be really interesting to know what would precipitate this on the LCOS (like, how long does something have to be static, if that's the cause?), and how long it takes to recover.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
On page 144 of the RCA L50000 LCOS TV manual posted at www.rcascenium.com is this little tidbit:

"Burn-in and image sticking information: Because your LCOS television doesn ’t have a picture tube (also called a cathode ray tube),your TV won ’t be subject to images being burned onto the screen.(“Burn-in †occurs when non-moving images are on a TV screen for a long period of time.)However,your LCOS TV might experience “image sticking †from time to time where part of a previous image remains on the screen.This image sticking is temporary and won ’t damage your TV."

It may not damage the TV but what does this mean for my viewing pleasure? A little random stickiness now and then?

If any one is considering auditioning one of these TV's when they finally hit the stores as I am, be sure to view a wide variety of source material and watch out for any sticky situations.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't imagine RCA releasing a product where this would actually affect the screen output of your source material where you'd notice it. Maybe it only occurs in the letterboxed areas when switching aspect modes. It'll be interesting.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities!" ... Pogo

[This message has been edited by Saam47 (edited 08-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Saam47 (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It would be more interesting to know if/when this set is actually going to ship. We are now one month past the alleged ship date. I smell a Samsung fLCD situation all over again, until proved wrong.

Mark

·
Registered
797 Posts
Regarding that "Samsung fLCD situation", my local

(Pleasanton, CA) Cambridge Audio/Soundworks claims

to be receiving the 50" "this or next week".

Price is still listed at $7000, though that may

change - sounds like upward given recent moves by

RCA & Mitsubishi :-(. The 43" ($6000) is claimed

to follow in one month...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, I've been getting impatient too. I'm holding off buying a RPTV to look at these TV's because of brightness and burn-in issues with the RPTV...the TV will be in a room with moderate daylight. But, I'll only hold off so long.

edmc: I live on the other side of Mt Diablo from you in Pittsburg. Give a holler when those Samsung fLCD units come in to your dealer. I'll come take a look too.

Steve

------------------

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities!" ... Pogo

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, I will keep an eye on Cambridge in Palo Alto. Keep in mind though that J and R in NYC has had this set on display for 5 months or so. They ain't selling it, but it's on display.

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
The local (Bellevue WA) Good Guys had one of them on the floor last weekend. It was for sale so I guess they are shipping some units.

Jim

------------------

Jim Sanchez - [email protected]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Jim, which unit the L50000, how much?

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.