AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think you can go wrong either way. I have the 65H80 and love it. With all the HD that seems to be on, it would be a shame to wait.

I guess it depends on your risk tolerance. If you want to hedge your bets go for the RCA. Either way you will really enjoy it. I had the MM36 for a couple of weeks before sending it back. There was nothing wrong with the set, but there was no way near the WOW factor of watching the 65H80 in action on DVD's, Digital SD, or HD

The other side of the issue is.. with a larger screen you will notice spotty picture quality from DISH, DirectTV, or digital cable.

Good luck making you choice!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Like the title says, my local Radioshack is clearing out their selection of first generation 4:3 RCA HDTVs for only a grand. I've searched extensively through this forum, Epinions, Keohi, Home Theater Forum, etc. There are some definite limitations to this set, but the price is darn good.

I was all set to get a new Toshiba, probably a 65" RPTV. My biggest concerns were H or HX model. That and whether DVI/Firewire would make my HDTV a 480p-only DVD monitor. (Jack Valenti and the MPAA, bunch of SOBs http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif .)

The RCA doesn't have a line doubler and its component inputs won't accept progressive scan signal. I have an interlaced DVD player so I could add a scaler. I'm also considering using my computer as an HTPC. I'm going to buy a Gamecube and possibly an Xbox. Do you think this monitor will work well for 480p or 1080i from these source? I have a Dish 6000 already, and it has a VGA output in addition to the component output.

There are some reports of build quality issues on these RCAs. The sales guy at Radioshack said they could give me a two-year warranty since it's a closeout. I have a 36" NTSC Toshiba I could sell used for probably $300-400? For a price delta of $600-700 I could get a decent HDTV that could eventually go to the bedroom/spare room. Should I go for it, or go with the Toshiba 65H(X)81 and hope that the encryption issue doesn't bite me in the rear?

Jim (perplexed in Shreveport)

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.