Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

I have had an RCA MM36100 for about eight months now. There are two little problems that keep bugging me. I am wondering if they are common and if anyone has found a way to deal with them.

First, my setup:

RCA MM36100 TV

DVDO iScan video processor (Version 1)running through VGA IN

Phillips Tivo via SVid cable into DVDO

Older Sony DVD Player via SVid cable into DVDO

Dish Network 4700 series receiver driving Tivo

Analog Cable running into TV and Tivo via coax

other stuff that doesn't matter.

Problem 1:

When watching a letterboxed DVD or program off of Dish, there is what I describe as a bubble between the black screen and the picture. It is most noticeable at the top of the screen. A couple lines of pixels seem to be brighter that the rest of the picture. It makes the line look bloated, not crisp. I have tried adjusting the contrast to no avail. The bulge is most noticeable on VGA but I have seen it on other inputs as well. If it were only on the Tivo/Dish stuff I would chalk it up to the signal being compressed and uncompressed over and over but it is really noticeable on some DVDs too. I tried another DVD player as well with no improvement.

Second Problem:

I seem to have trouble with shifting black levels on the VGA inputs. Usually it is very slight but on some DVDs (MI2 and Snow Falling on Ceaders) it looks like Macrovision is kicking in. This was one of the reasons I returned a Hitachi RPTV. I thought the problem was exclusive to projection sets. None of this was noticeable on Component in using the same disks.

Can anyone give me any input on solving these problems? I am planning on getting set up of OTA and Dish HD this summer and would like to have this worked out first

Thanks for your time!

Tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the mm36100 and a DTC100 HDTV receiver. I have not seen the edge effect problem nor the black level changes. However there seems to be a number of problems reported when using the VGA inputs. I have seen a common problem when using the VGA inputs with the DRC100 in that there is a drift in the color temp from scene to scene. Several other people have also noticed this problem. I have gone through several TV's and receivers but the problem is always there. I am wondering if maybe there is a ground loop or signal level problem. I was thinking about trying an AC isolation transformer, VGA ground isolator or a VGA cable with better ferrite chokes (cylinders on each end of cable). Could also solve your black level problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't seen any of the problems you discribe (about a year's worth of watching). The only problem I have is getting a progressive scan DVD to play on the MS36100, using a transcoder to the vga input. Have you been able to run progressive scan on the RCA? I know the component input does not accept progressive scan, but the VGA should.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhfnet:
I have seen a common problem when using the VGA inputs with the DRC100 in that there is a drift in the color temp from scene to scene. Several other people have also noticed this problem. I have gone through several TV's and receivers but the problem is always there.
I have this "color shift" when using my PC on this set with video set to high color, or watching HD signal from my Dish 6000. It is a slight color drift, and is annoying. I am thinking of calling RCA and having either another one sent, or see if they can come fix this one. But as mentioned, it seems to be in all of them. So my only hope toget it fixed is if they cant fix it and replace it with a newer model. Other then this problem I love this PC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.