AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I really would prefer a larger set, budget and space don't want to cooperate at the moment.

I have a chance to buy an RCA MM36100, which is a 36" 4x3 set capable of 1080i. It will fit in the furniture I already have and I can get it for $799.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get this model? Any problems with these?

Is there any other great sub-$900 monitor I should be looking at?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have one and I really enjoy it. Of the Component inputs, it will only accept standard definition 480I input. If you have a DVD player with Component outputs, it will not work in 480 Progressive mode. RCA came out with it's replacement called the MM36110. Here they added the above capability and updated the cabinet with the left and right speaker grills covering the full edge. The MM36110 is 36" 4 x 3 just like the the MM36100.

To get around this limitation, I use a DVDO iScan Plus between my DVD player and the second RGB connecter on my MM36100. My DTC-100 is on the first RGB connecter.

Watching Hi-Def content off satellite or OTA looks great! The MM36100 is also Plug & Play compliant. Windows 98 automatically detects the MM36100 and had a monitor driver for it. The largest array size for PC use is 800 x 600. I haven't tried XP yet but I would expect the same compatibility.

Not sure how the MM36100 would work with HDTV STB's other than the DTC-100. Inputting a Hi-Def signal is only accomplished through either the two RGB inputs.

For $799 I think it's worth it. It's also damn heavy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Dave's comments. I've had my MM36100 set for a year and the picture (from a DBS) is hard to beat. I also use the iscan line doubler with it and it makes it even better. I think a DVDO iscan can be had for a few hundred these days since the new Iscan pro is the latest in the line.

Incidentally, one of the best of the professional home theatre men in the U.S. said that the MM36100 had the best NTSC picture he'd ever seen 'straight out of the box'.

If it's got a warranty, then go for it. But later on get the iscan to go with it.

You can also plug your computer into it without interfering with the TV part and get a great 800 x 600 resolution. Great for gaming and net surfing. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The MM36100 was a really good set. It was replaced by the MM36110. I considered buying it , but walked away because it did not have the line doubler built in to it. If you get the tv, keep in mind it is a standard tv unless you get the DTC-100 to go with it or one of the aftermarket line doublers the above posts represent. RCA's new high-def ready sets will have the line doubler built-in to them, but will not have the VGA input for use as a computer monitor. Keep in mind the MM36100 is a discontinued set and you are getting a good deal on it, it also may be worth it it see if you can pick up a DTC-100 for a low price (also discontinued). I have seen them as low as $475 just locally, not doing any price shopping. The DTC-100 has the line doubler built-in and gives you immediate acces to hook your OTA for true high-def.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have a DTC-100 and a Echostar 6000 so no lack of hi-res input sources. Also have a HTPC with an All in Wonder Radeon card and a Pioneer DVD player.

In a way, I am almost happy to hear that it doesn't have a line doubler because my suspicion with my Princeton monitor was that the line doubler made the digital artifacts from the DBS compression look worse. I posted a long message about that in here months ago but never got much response to my theory but in researching the 36100 I have seen that mentioned a few times.

So, I think that if I can figure out a way to get it from the store to the apartment I am going to go for it. Everyone is saying good things about it and I'll see if I can find the info on doing the anamorphic squeeze somewhere.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mongo, my experience is that it's a great set right out of the box, but the Iscan line doubler really does improve it substantially and without any problems whatever--in my case. You might consider it down the road. The older Iscan can be had for a few hundred these days. Have fun with the set.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a nice monitor!

Thanks for the tips on this one. I picked it up Saturday afternoon and I was very impressed. The first thing I did was pull out Video Essentials to tweak it a little and I found that there was not a lot to do. A few minor adjustments got it looking very sweet.

I might look into an Iscan at some point but, to be honest, the scan lines don't bother me much and I am mostly using the 2-VGA inputs for my DSS boxes.

Best $800 I ever spent! Thanks again.

Oh, and if someone will save me the trouble of searching for it, how do you get into the service menus?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.