AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying the RCA MM61110. I know it doesn't have a 16x9 "mode" built it but I understand that you can squeeze the vertical raster. Is this correct?

The only dealer I've found locally (Sandiego area) who has this set, has it hooked up to dislay HDTV in 4x3 mode so the sides of the image are missing. This dealer was unwilling to try adjusting the set to get a 16x9 image. Does anyone have one of these sets configured to display a complete 1080i image in 16x9 format?

Mark

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the ProScan version of the MM52100 and have done the "manual squeeze" for 540p/1080i mode. It works well except that it took me a bit of work aligning the CRTs afterward. The convergence and the geometry are still a bit off and once you change the settings you cannot use the automatic convergence. Just a warning...

-Gergg

·
Registered
256 Posts
With the directview RCA and Proscan models MM36100 etc (both old and new models) to get automatic aspect ratio control for 1080i material it requires just one parameter to be adjusted one time and thereafter whenever the television detects a 1080i signal it would automatically give you the 16:9 aspect ratio without downconversion and consequent loss of detail. It requires entering the service menu.

Michael TLV mentioned this on both this forum and hometheaterforum (which is down at the moment) and has a page discussing the entries at www.keohi.com/keohihdtv

I do not know if the same parameters will hold for the RPTVs but you could try it.

Do a search at www.hometheaterforum.com (when it is up) with Michael TLV and RCA and you should find what you need there. In summary, these televisions may well be able to do the squeeze but perhaps not.

Peter

[This message has been edited by PeterG (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JamesG,

Yes, the MM61110 is hard to find. I only looked at the SVGA2 input on this set. It was fabulous at 800x600. There were some convergence problems in the lower left corner but I'm sure they could be improved. When fed a 1080i signal, the results were good but not spectacular. As mentioned above, the set I looked at didn't have the 1080i squeezed.

When I looked at the MM52110, I only saw DirectTV material on one of the SVideo inputs, so I really can't compare the sets. I will say that I think I prefer the non-doubled 480i image of these sets to the doubled 480i images of any other set I have seen (and that includes Mits, Pioneer, Panasonic, Toshiba...). This, and the good 800x600 SVGA display are the main reasons I am looking at this set. I don't expect to see much HDTV in the next couple of years.

The RCA is supposed to be capable of 72 Hz at 640x480. I didn't try this but if it works,it should help with film sourced (24fps) progressive DVDs right?.

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the MM61110. It replaced a MM52100 (not MM52110). I tried the adjust to squeeze trick on the MM52. I will NOT do that to the MM61. If I only watched 16x9 it MIGHT(??) be worth the effort, but that will not be the situation for a lOOOOOng time! Much of the "HDTV" OTA in Orlando is still 4x3, it is very nice when I can toggel to fill my MM61 to full screen for those shows, like "Contact" on CBS last night. Couldn't do that easily if I had adjusted for a squeezed picture.

I am satisfied with the value and interoperability the MM61110 has. The glair from the screen protector required an adjustment. The smudges I find on the protector let me know that I need some protection from my household!!

I got my MM61 from Best Buy in mid December 2000, but that is another story!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.