Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about this?

Web site and manual says 61" can do FULL 1920x1080i They say Digital Resolution (1920H x 1080V Pixels)... That would mnean to me they say they can do full res with the set... Has built in DirecTv reciver and Off Air Revicer...

Am I missing something about this set? It is MSRP $3999 with all this stuff... What am I missing?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is so cheap... Does the set suck?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have the PS61000 and I also think it is a great set. I have had no problems just plug it in and enjoy it. So I would expect the 61300 to be better.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Does it have FireWire(aka iLink, 1394). I don't think so. Its Obsolete.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hey,

You will not be able to connect and use

1) New generation cable/sat STBs

2) HD-PVRs

3) HD-D-VHS VCRs

4) HD-DVD players

The HD-D-VHS VCRs will be available this fall, The HD-DVD player in about three years.

Any HD set that does not have an up-grade path to add the FireWire ports are just vary expensive boat anchors.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
All you have to do is buy a stand a lone receiver. NTSC TV most of them do not have an output to record, you would by a VCR that has a built in turner for recording. Buying a TV now will no be obsolete. Bruce do you work for Mits?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Bruce,

Your opinion regarding FireWire and it's relevance to HDTV equipment may well turn out to be correct, but it bears pointing out that yours is just one opinion and not something that is engraved in stone.

Other opinions on this topic are in disagreement with you. To insist that they have no possibility only makes you appear to be less than fully knowledgeable on this topic.

As far as what Mitsu's vaunted Promise module will or will not do, all I can say is I hope you're right, but don't be too surprised if it turns out differently than what you expect. There are forces (internally at Mitsu & externally) in play that will have more effect on what the Promise ends up being, than all of our best hopes.

For another opinion (mine) on how this might turn out, I posted this in another thread recently:

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to the question "is my new HDTV gear going to work in the future?"

The reasons for this are varied, but can be summarized in this one sentence: Program owners (movie studios) are afraid of not being compensated for their product, because in digital form perfect copies can be made.

This has resulted in mass confusion among the program owners, program providers (DirecTV, Dish, cableco's) and consumer equipment manufacturers.

The response has been that the above groups have proposed different copy protection (CP) systems that will attempt to insure program material security. This is accomplished using a digital interconnect between equipment. Some alliances have been formed in this area and at this point two major systems have emerged.

My opinion:

As equipment companies introduce new products, CP systems will be incorporated and potential compatibility issues may arise. An unacceptable scenario would be for new sources (digital STB, PVR, VCR) to have only digital interconnect with displays. In other words, no analog output, which is what all HDTV's currently use. I do not feel this will happen. A more likely situation is that at least a few equipment companies will offer sources that have both digital & analog outputs. The digital output will incorporate CP and will provide the required security, the analog output will maintain compatibility with existing equipment for the foreseeable future. If even one company offers this type of equipment, (and a few companies already appear to be in this camp) the other companies will have to follow suit. No one will buy equipment that is not compatible with existing HDTV displays, unless they have no choice. And there will be a choice.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 07-01-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.