AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be purchasing a new television soon and I have always prefered the outer look and picture quality of RCA to other brands. I have narrowed the choice down to the 61" P61310 or a 65" Scenium. I need some opinions about these sets. I prefer the 65" size but I can't stand the cheapo looking silver casing that so many HDTV's, like the Scenium come in. Is it that much of an improvement, picture-wise, over the 61"? I want a great set but Silver would stick out like a sore thumb in my house. Are there any other projection HDTV's that you might suggest? I am only interested in 60" or larger. Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had the RCA model for almost a month now and couldn't be happier; my HT is almost finished and the set just looks great set into the wall with only the screen showing; the colors are fantastic, the builtin DTV tuner works great; this was my very first RCA tv, and I would recommend it highly

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've seen these and I agree. I've not seen any other television produce a picture as detailed and clearly defined as my Panasonic PT56WXF95 until I saw the Scenium. It really gives my Panasonic a run for its money.

One thing to consider is that these RCAs may be using, believe it or not, 4:3 CRTs with an optical aspect correction for the 16:9 screen. A lot of manufacturers seem to be going this route. Note, on the RCA's specs: 1440x1080 resolution.

(1440 * 3) / 1080 = 4

Thus, a perfect 4:3 image.

I believe manufacturers are finding it cheaper to go this route and including electronics to correctly form images inside that screen.

Again, I must say this is entirely speculative -- but you must admit, the math holds up.

-- Robert

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have always owned RCA televisions but when I went HD I purchased a Toshiba 65" widescreen. It has a fantastic picture and the styling is great. I have the TW65X81 - the 2000 model. The current models are 65H81 and 65HX81. When you have something as imposing as a 65" widescreen, styling is very important.

Check them out.

Rick R

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had the 65" Scenium for a month now, purchased it for $3100 out the door. First of all, the deal is unbeatable. You won't get any other HDTV w/ this high quality picture, with build in decoder for this cheap. Not to mention it also has built in DirecTV receiver. The sound system is also great. The only problem I have w/ it is the glare. The stupid glare drives me nuts, I have to close the blinds. Before I purchased it, I went to "The Good Guys" many times to compare it to the Mits 65" Diamond Series. IMHO, the picture quality is much better on the Scenium, and everytime I go, all the people around me agree (non-salespeople). And I think the silver casing is rather attractive, and I believe most people will agree w/ me there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 3 year old AND a 1 1/2 year old. I can't take it off if you know what I mean. I heard the Mits's have anti-glare windows. Wish I had that on my Scenium.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those with kids - I removed the glare screen and surrounded the set with a childrens play pen - this is a six panel plastic unit for about $75 that you get in any baby store. My son gets a time out for even touching the thing. We have never had any problem or damage to the exposed lens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.