AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is experiencing picture quality problems with the replacement RCA or Proscan HDTV contact a rep. at Thomson in charge of "new technology" to document problem. The rep can't answer/solve any questions, but will forward info to engineering staff: 800-722-9599.

I am experiencing excessive video noise, a double gray bar on left side when set is in Component mode and is not being fed a signal, and a somewhat out-of-focus picture. I'm hoping the problems are related to my set only, but contact this number so problems can be documented. My replacement set is NOT the same as the original.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
CJ I just bought a RCA F38310 today, it's the floor model that has been running for two weeks straight. I would rather have one tested, then a brand ne one out of the box. I pretty sure you would agree.

I also signed up for their 5 year warranty at $179, I also bought the stand. They have served my family for 23 years. My married sister and her husband also bought TVs from them. They are number one in service, the technician took a two year course in Digital technology.

The dealership is only 6 miles from where I live. I thank you for the 800 number, but I hope I don't have to use it. Wayne showed me all the modes, and the Direct TV channels that were broadcasting High def.

The set looks great I'm looking forward to monday, the day when they deliver it for me. I also bought a 2 meter Silver Serpent Component Video cable off of www.bettercables.com

Their flagship model, cost $119 to be delivered from a NY distributor of theirs. Bettercables rep said it should be here Monday morning, my set comes n the afternoon.

------------------

"smiles are contagious, be a carrier" :) Tony

·
Registered
111 Posts
CJ,

I too have the "double gray bar" on the left in component mode with no signal, but have ignored this one since it clears when there is a signal, i.e. the DVD player is powered on.

I have previously exchanged emails with RCA on other problems (primarily fan noise plus other issues on a replacement set - detailed in a earlier thread) but I may call the 800 number just to reinforce the issue. I do like the set a lot otherwise.

We power off the set completely now, via a switched powerstrip, to quiet the fan when we aren't using the set. (Also save a few watts out here in CA. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frank

·
Registered
63 Posts
Frank in all the threads I have read about this set, no one I believe IMHO ever mentioned the fan running, after the set was turned off.

If this the case would it be advisable to get some proper temperature probing equipment by way of some electronic thermometer (?), or just turn it off via a remote control? BTW we have no electricy problems, in our state,

we got Atlantic ocean air flowing

in the garden state.

Just some newbie to the 'new' HDTV owner. I might as well ask before it's delivered, the sales guy was impressed with my knowing 'all' the latest lingo. Frank I would hate to face the guy with some fan question, got to keep my all knowing rep 'up' lol.

------------------

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fan is always on. Luckily mine is actually quieter than the original

Anyone getting vertical striping when TV is set to a video input and there is a blue screen. I get a 1-2 inch darker blue stripe to the right of center in 4x3 when I have a video input selected and the device (such as a vcr) is on but not playing - thus producing a blue screen. Effect is not noticeable when viewing actual images.

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
63 Posts
CJ what brand of Progressive Scan DVD did you get free? If you didn't get on free and you purchased your set between May ? and 7-06-01.

You can get a rebate form off of, Best Buy just get the F38310 on your scree. look for rebate hit 'I agree' on rebate. Then print the form they make up as printable.

The form can be used by 'any' dealer you bought the set off of. I called the rebate number (not best buy) Digital Jam II Promotion the people who are running the rebate promotion @ 1-800-440-5096

They said 'not' to use 'white out' on the Best Buy, that is in the area of "Mail-In Rebate form. You need a 'copy' of the sales receipt and a UPC code off of the 'box' the set came in. http://www.bestbuy.com

A trade of a 800 number CJ, if you bought during May to July. If not you could give it a shot, to persuade your dealer to give you another receipt. A May or newer date of purchase on it.

Tell him "you owe it to me" for all the trouble 'you' have gone through, which is a understatement don't you agree? Best of luck CJ

:)

------------------

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done a bit more research on the vertical bar issue I spoke about above. Now that I know what to look for, the effect is clearly noticeable even with a moving image. This did not happen with my original set. It affects all inputs and can also be seen if you feed the vcr signal through a coax to the antenna sections of the TV. The effect has made DVD watching unbearable!

I know of one other person who has this problem. Is there anyone else out there with the same problem?

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jeesh someone get on the horn to the 23rd century, and tell the ol Catain James T Kirk a message. We need him to send Scotty back to 21st century, we need 'the miracle worker' back with some answers.

I am getting my F38310 TV set or new headache, on this coming monday afternoon. Please send the mesage via a Warp 16 tachion sub atomic particle beam. That should do the trick, when transmitting make it a priority one distress call for all F38310 owners. lol

------------------

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TonyT...

Thanks for the rebate info, but I purchased the Proscan version and I did so in Nov. 2000. Given the unfriendliness, "I don't want to know you after you purchase something" attitude of The Wiz stores, I doubt I could get them to issue me an original receipt, if I needed one! But thanks anyway. I'm scheduled for my second replacement setin a couple of weeks. From what I'm reading it's a crapshoot if I get one with or without problems...or one problem eliminated and another present. I need to let Thomson know that their quality control leaves something to be desired.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
CJ the rebate people said they only need a 'copy' of the receipt. You being a computer operater, couldn't you doctor something up. I know it's not thing to do, but the RCA Progressive DVD is going for $599 on http://www.rca.com

As long as you have the UPC code from the box before July the 7th

and a zeroxed copy.

I have done some doctoring of Xeroxed copies. What you want to disapeer can be done, by holding a white piece of paper over it then zerox it. The new copy will 'blend' white on white with no lines showing.

You could use your 'puter printer fonts, in adding new data then zerox it again, and it looks just like it should. That TonyT could mean Tony the Tiger, as I went with that trick a few times and got what I wanted. CJ $600 progressive scan DVD, IMHO it's worth a try.

But the it's your call bud. How does your upconversion work on DVD viewing? Did you know that RCA has a VGA to Component 'adapter' for $129.95. I seen it on the rca.com web address. CJ and all who own this 'new' tube I wish us all the good luck guys, Tony

------------------

"smiles are contagious: be a carrier" :) Tony

RCA F38310 Wide Screen Performaxâ„¢ Tube HDTV

Sony CX860 (300) DVD Changer

Sony CX870D (200) DVD Changer

Pioneer F-1007 (300) CD

Changer

Pioneer PDF-904 (100) CD Changer

Sharp VHS Vcr

JVC S-VHS E.T. Vcr

Sima SVS-4 S-Video automatic switcher with remote control, 4 S-Video sources into one S-Video jack in back of TV set.

Our AVS sponsers Bettercables.com Silver Serpent High End Quality

cables

·
Registered
63 Posts
By this time tommorow I will be hopefully looking at my new F38310

Wish me luck guys that I get a good one and not a lemon. When it's your turn ask me for the good luck, I will wish you the same. Tony

------------------

Sony CX850D (200) DVD Changer

Pioneer F-1007 (300) CD

Changer

Sharp VHS Vcr

JVC S-VHS E.T. Vcr

Sima SVS-4 S-Video automatic switcher with remote control, 4 S-Video sources into one S-Video jack in back of TV set.

Cables

·
Registered
63 Posts
My oh my How nice the screen fills up, I just can't wait to get my silver serpent componet cable to clean up my picture and make it more colorful.

[This message has been edited by TonyT (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony T...all you need to do when the cables arrive, is match each color (red, green, blue) from the DVD player with is corresponding color on the HDTV. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well guys it's just beautiful, I have tried webtv, DVD and Vhs. Fooling around with my contrast and black level. I can get a pretty decent pcture from my VHS tapes. This one great set, it was the floor model tweaked out, by the owner.

smiles are contagious:be a carrier

[This message has been edited by TonyT (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Tony, please note it read "ESTIMATED to SHIP" in that e-mail.

Respectfully,

------------------

David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!

AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com
The Nate Home Theater

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 06-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TonyT,

The component inputs are located in the back of the set, somewhere in the center. If the cables don't arrive at the same time as the set, someone will have to move the set to get access to them. I'm almost certain anyone you know is capable of installing them to the set and the DVD player...the inputs are color coded...on the set and the DVD player, as well as on the cable ends themselves. By the way...good luck with your new set. I'm sure there are many sets out there that function fine. Besides, Thomson has been helpful...you just need to be patient if problems surface. My only concern is that Thomson may need to re-visit there product control procedures. My first set was excellent,however Thomson did produce several before discovering and acknowledging a computer software problem with video inputs which produced the recall and subsequent redesigning of the set. Enjoy the set.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cj where is the cable connections, when I seen it on www.rca.com they were in the middle of the back of the set. I am retired I can't possibly move a 216 pound set, it might fall there goes $3000.

------------------

Sony CX850D (200) DVD Changer

Pioneer F-1007 (300) CD

Changer

Sharp VHS Vcr

JVC S-VHS E.T. Vcr

Cables

·
Registered
49 Posts
CJ -- I called that phone number and got dumb looks "Sir I have no idea what you are talking about.." Issues in addition to those you have mentioned:

* The two channel internal speaker circuitry did a beautiful job of mixing down a true Dolby 5.1 broadcast in the original TV. The replacement has some of those 5.1 channels out of phase in the current mix down producing a noticeable muting of the sound during 5.1 broadcasts.

* The HDTV tuner equalizer tabs have changed for reception close to the Transmitter (10 miles) producing a 10 point drop in signal strength from the original set.

* White lettering on a black field producing great trailing smears to the right, Never saw this on the original.

I also I agree that we have fallen prey to a variation of "Bait and Switch" ; It is not the same set! I want the original chassis with the new tube. No doubt this is a cost reduced chassis. Is there anything we can do about this... power in numbers??

aj

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can we have some more comments from those who have received replacement f38310 sets?

I have one of the original f38310 sets. I have the color purity spots lower left and a little across the top. There are only certain times that they are apparent. Else, the picture is perfect. I can sort of live with it. After some of these comments, I'm leery of participating in the replacement program.

I'm on the fence about this.

[This message has been edited by Robert Dyer (edited 06-15-2001).]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.