AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bose companion-3 computer speakers that uses 5' RCA speaker cables. I need to make one of the speaker wires longer and wasn't sure if RCA speaker wires were the same as regular RCA cables or do I need to buy a specific RCA speaker wire cable?

I want to get something decent quality but all I could find was the 15' Dynex RCA speaker wire extension cable at Best Buy that's like $5. Any suggestions on where to buy a good RCA speaker wire cable that only has to be a couple feet long..

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
You are talking about RCA connectors attached to the ends of whatever the wire is.

You do want speaker wire, not line-level RCA interconnects. Interconnects will usually be round with a shield and center conductor, looking like a cable TV interconnect. They are usually too small to carry speaker levels well. An RCA speaker wire will often have two conductors side by side, like an a.c. line (extension) cord.

One catch is that I do not know if your Bose speakers are powered. If so, all they need is a line-level, or passive with the amp in the Bose head unit so you need speaker level. What model Bose do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if the Bose speakers are powered but my guess would be no.

I have the Bose Companion 3 set. This is the computer setup with a powered subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers that plug into the sub. The forum won't let me post a link to it since I just signed up but it's the current model they sell.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckY07 /forum/post/19646974

I have the Bose companion-3 computer speakers that uses 5' RCA speaker cables. I need to make one of the speaker wires longer and wasn't sure if RCA speaker wires were the same as regular RCA cables or do I need to buy a specific RCA speaker wire cable?

On those speakers , any RCA cable will be fine !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so in terms of quality it won't make a difference if I use an RCA speaker wire or a regular RCA?

Would you recommend buying a higher quality RCA cable or do you think that's a waste of money with this system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Ooops, didn't look up the model from the OP.. I tend to agree, as with 2" speakers there won't be enough power (no power ratings I could see in the Bose manual) to worry about, and other considerations (IR loss, DF reduction, etc.) are probably minimal for that type of system.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckY07 /forum/post/19647333

Would you recommend buying a higher quality RCA cable or do you think that's a waste of money with this system?

I repeat, any RCA cable will be fine !!

There will be no discernible difference between the cheapest or the most expensive.

Get something that is the right length.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Radio Shack did have several RCA connector speaker cables:

42-2480

42-2478

42-2479

42-2449

42-2450

42-2457

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.