AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys .......a customer who is a relative , poised a question , raised by many people lately.....about his non-HDTV 4:3 , Pioneer RPTV model #A5 62'' , their best model last year , non 16;9, and no screen ratio choices in the menu , and his 'this week ' to be purchased , either , RCA DTC-100 HDTV directv tuner , or toshiba #3000 directv HDTV tuner ............questions are ;

1) ....what is the ABSOLUTE BEST processor , or video device , (standalone , not a HDPC) , IF ANY is needed , to feed the output or interface the output from either of the 2 directv digital HDTV tuners to the Pioneer proj tv.....he wants to buy the best , irrespective of money , that'll give him the best possible picture from the above tuners to his 62'' proj tv , until he buys a new HDTV digital tv after xmas ???????....member , there is no vga input , nor rgb , nor component video input on this tv , ONLY 2 s-video inputs , and composite reg video inputs ...obviously , this tv will be kept when he buys the new one !!

2) using the s video inputs on the tv , and the s video outputs from either of the above HDTV tuners , what should he expect for a picture in interlaced terms , or SDef TV , i.e., approx. 480i, 540i, etc, etc , since he cant get a P image whatsoever anyway , directly from the above HDTV tuner to the tv ........whether it be OTA or from directv, what should he expect ?????? normal directv , and OTA video is stunning , but not the equal to HDTV, obviously !!!! this is a nice tv

3)...based on the answers on the above should he , IN FACT , use an interface , a videoprocessor , or any kind of standalone device to better the NTSC picture from the above 2 tuners , and lastly ,

4) should he go from the VGA output , or component out , etc, etc (whatever happens to be the output in the rear, as it differs from tuner to tuner)....to an encoder /transcoder and then to the S-video input on the TV...... or should he just go from S video out on the tuner , directly to S video in on the Pioneer 62'' tv?????..what is the consensus on that , and is there anything to gain from either ??????

all the dishes , and Hughes ' plus' receivers are in place , and operating fine , one 30'' dish aimed at the 101 satellite , and one 30'' aimed at the 119 satellite ....and a brand new Channelmaster antennae w/ rotor and #7777 mast mounted pre-amp , giving nearly perfect off-air signals , especially when directionally aimed by the rotor location is 14 miles north of Boston proper , in the suburbs ...probably 20 miles from the Needham Ma. broadcast towers ....if it matters

NEED SOME HELP ON THESE QUESTIONS asked lately

by many many people !!!!

thanx in advance for the input

Billy c

·
Registered
750 Posts
Three issues:

1. 16:9 HDTV material output via the s-video output will/should be letterboxed. To my knowledge (I only have the Toshiba), the Toshiba will only put gray bars above and below the 16:9 picture, while the RCA allows you to select gray or black bars. On this item, I give the nod to the RCA -- but this should be confirmed by someone with experience with the RCA.

2. HDTV pictures will look good via the s-video outputs (but obviously not as good as true HDTV). In my opinion, HDTV material looks as good as or slightly better than a DVD. Colors are truer, even though you're not getting the full resolution. Also, even over-the-air standard definition digital broadcasts look better to me than any of: analog (from cable or over-the-air) and DirecTV. In fact, I would buy a second DTV set-top box just for my regular old TV (with only s-video in) if they weren't so darn expensive -- I'd do it in a second for $200.

3. Other than item 1, I doubt that the picture quality will differ dramatically among boxes. In looking to the future, the connection to a future HDTV-capable TV might matter (component vs. RGB connections).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx jason......for your input; do you or does anyone know the ' i ' rating of the picture from the s video out to the tv , in terms of interlaced video ; would it be anything close to 480i , or 520i - 540i..?????..........and does anyone presently or is anyone gonna make an interface / encoder/ transcoder whatever to enhance the signal between the HDTV STbox and a regular non HDTV tv such as this ???????? thanx again anyone ???

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I currently watch my "HDTV" on an NTSC widescreen fed by the DTC100.

The DTC100 allows you to letterbox 16:9 content on a 4:3 display. It also supports cropping the sides of the picture, which can be useful if the content is upconverted 4:3 displayed in the middle of a 16:9 image.

I'm not sure what the output resolution across the S Video feeds is, but it is certainly the best possible without being true HD. Very nice, interlaced DVD-quality. I don't understand what the need would be for an intervening processors, since you aren't going to improve the signal going to an NTSC display, I don't think. Rather than waste a lot of money on that I would just go to an HDTV-capable display sooner.

I agree that the choice of future set may influence the STB decision. If you are going for a Pioneer or Elite then they have a native 15-pin VGA connection, directly supporting the DTC100. I'm sure some other models do as well. I would expect the conversion from VGA to component would cause some amount of degradation, but maybe not too severe; but if you know what you want already I would get the STB the directly supports it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.