AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is my UTV unit powering up by itself? When I try to turn it off with the remote, it won't even acknowledge the remote (doesn't flash). The only way it will work is to unplug it and then plug it back in. After that it works fine until I shut it off. Then, during the night, the same thing happens. The unit is not plugged into the phone jack.

paulds

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Welcome to the UTV forum.

Could you expand on exactly what is happening? Is the UTV "resetting" itself, rebooting or trying to dial out when it powers up? Does it give you a "blank" screen when it isn't responding? Have you lost any Recordings or Settings after you unplug/plug the UTV?

Some "harmless" things you could try is a reset code like 12357 which basically "reboots" the UTV. A more "destructive" thing you could try another code if you are willing to "restore" the UTV to an "out of the box" type of condition. (UTV OS is left alone but all recordings/settings are deleted/restored to default.)

The "restore" code (2355 2355) can narrow the issue down to a hardware or software issue. If the code works it's likely a software issue. If not it could be hardware.

Overheating, bad tuner(s), bad power, bad hard drive, etc. could be a possible problem. You might try and improve/increase the UTV's cooling by cleaning vents, checking the internal fan is working, increasing it's clearance with bottle caps and making sure it is in open air as much as possible.

Check the tuner strength, maybe go down to a single cable run and see if that helps... if you are willing to upgrade to a larger hard drive you could swap that out...

There are a lot of options, just keep us posted and we'll try and help you out when we know more...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. When the unit turns on by itself (the green light is on) and I put the TV on, there is nothing but a snowy screen. Repeated tries to have the UTV unit (RCA) operate via remote or manually selecting the unit buttons on the face of the unit are futile. The unit doesn't respond. After unplugging, the unit obviously turns off. After plugging it back in, it works fine until the next time I shut it off.... where it shuts off and then during the night, it must turn itself back on since the green light is back on and the cycle begins again.

I'll try the codes, however, I don't know how!! (what a rookie). A complete reset is possible, since I have nothing saved that would bother me if a full reformat was done.

paulds

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
"snowy screen" doesn't seem typical... Are you maybe getting a "blank" screen or maybe a "snowy" screen with the typical UTV interface?

If you are able to test the coaxial, RCA (A/V plugs), and S-Video Outputs to make sure that there is a good signal between the UTV and TV... Have you verified that the TV and UTV are both on the same feed? (Channel 3,Video-1... instead of Channel 4,Video-2, etc.)

UTV Codes are simply entered via the Remote Control when the UTV is "off" (Standby). entering 411 for example will give you a basic screen giving you hardware details. 12357 will reboot the UTV. 23552355 will "restore" the UTV to it's default "out of the box" configuration.

You should review the FAQ on this forum to give you more familiarity with UTV codes, etc.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To test for enough cooling, put your hand over the left front vents, if it feels rather warm, direct a table fan at the side of the UTV for 10 minutes and see if this cools it down. You could leave the fan running all night as a test. Then if the cooling helps, you could get a usb fan (you can power small usb devices by plugging into the utv's usb ports) and mount it externally on the right side, where the disk drives are. This keeps my units quite cool to the touch.

I have a thermometer mounted on the upper front left side of one UTV, with a second UTV on top of it (mounted on bottle caps for extra spacing between the units - about 1 inch). The temperature reads, 88 F. I know it used to read around 100 or so before I started using coolers.

YOu might be starting to have a disk problem. How old is your UTV? I take it you have not done a disk drive replacement, if you are a newbie.

Consider that my (upgraded to 100 gig disk) UTV, which has a somewhat loud drive, can be heard to be seeking constantly, 24/7. This is likely 10-100 times more seeking (moving of the disk arm from track to track) than a disk drive sees on a normal PC computer. Also, the original 40-45 gig drives seem to have been more prone to failure than newer drives.

You might want to look at your history and see if there are any reboot messages. Typically, they'll say that the cause was a power failure, but that usually just means it crashed and rebooted. That happens to me once or twice a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have put bottle caps under the unit and I can see how well that works for cooling. However, it is doing the same thing. Now I notice that when I unplug and then plug in again, the unit continues to try to boot going through blinking green, yellow and a red here and there. I unplug again, wait, and then plug in. It goes through the process all over again and then stops..... and once it stops the process, I put it on and it works fine for a day or more and then gets cranky again. Could it be that the hard drive skips like an old 45 record and will only work when it finds a nice, smooth track??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
the "blinking green, yellow and a red here and there" usually indicates that it is formatting/marrying the UTV's hard drive. You typically shouldn't expect to have the UTV OS, MY SHOWS, and Settings available after it completes this step. So if you haven't already try and save any MY SHOWS and Series/Auto Recordings you want to keep.

If it is just a Hard Drive going flaky you can probably upgrade to a 120-160GB (or larger if needed first 137GB supported) IDE PATA drive. You let the UTV download OS 3.8 and you'll be up and running again.

If you want help with upgrading the hard drive let us know. Biggest thing to remember is to PULL THE ACCESS CARD before opening the UTV's case. Otherwise it's much like upgrading a PC's hard drive. The UTV FAQ also gives you a run down of procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the saga continued. Did a system test and noticed that both tuners failed the test. Figured that this UTV has seen its better days and grabbed one of three left (purchased during my UTV panic that they were discontinued) that I had in reserve. Plugged the new one in and all is fine, however, a new access card is being sent. Had no trouble with the tech support people. They cancelled my old unit's card and when transferred to the "access card" division they told me that the card for the new unit was registered to someone else. I explained that this was bought from that person. I guess the big hitch will be that they don't put me on a lease of equipment since I own this one. Apparently DTV leases all receivers now. I am still not convinced that when I get the new access card that there will be a problem since I am running UTV and not one of their boxes. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A "free" access card I hope.

There may be some hoops since this is an "old" receiver but if the CSR is told/informed they should be able to set it up correctly.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just wanted to make sure. There was a time when they would send you one if you were "nice" about it... last time I called them they were rather insistent that "used" receivers needed new cards... But I was able to get the cost for two access cards "credited" back in service credit over 6 months or so...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have been swapping in spare units for a while and I simply move the card from the failed unit to the spare unit and do a "refresh services" online. That has worked for me a number of times now. Unless you are adding more utvs, and are only replacing damaged ones, I don't see why we need to talk to DTV at all.

BTW, I just won an auction for another spare, cost me $32 +$10 s/h. I wasn't even watching and my last bid of $32 as my max actually won it. I figured someone would bump me by $1 but it didn't happen

I was probably bidding against someone on this board

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It is a bit buried. Basically you find it in Support-Sound & Pictures which you'll find at the bottom of your "MY ACCOUNT" page. Then you'd pick "Please Call Customer Service X722-then choose try resetting the affected receiver by "clicking here".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found it. I'm sort of ticked off now that I called them and they de-activated the old card and charged me for a new one...., which by the way after the call on Sunday, I have yet to receive new access card. They must be getting "too big" now... the last card was sent overnight!

Lesson learned. The next blown receiver... just take the card out and pop it in the new/used receiver and refresh.... they wouldn't know it's a different receiver???

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yep Overnight was the norm... I think my cards from last year took a bit longer too...

The card should remarry to the new receiver...

Will DTV know about it? Depends... what does happen if the UTV calls home? Would it "remarry" to the system (update the Receiver info.),would the system KILL it (Receiver doesn't match System), or would it Ignore the "swap" (Card is "Valid" and Married, doesn't care about the receiver #)?

Anyone with first hand info?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts