AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or now with the upgrade it is slow to respond to remote inputs? Also it used to be faster inscrolling channels.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
One of three is very slow and reboots often. The other two are uneffected. Started just after the 3.5 upgrade. Never had a problem before.

Fast forward is very jerky, nothing like it was before.

Ed

·
Registered
34 Posts
I to have noticed that one of my RCA UTV's seems very slow to accept the remote inputs. I thought that it was maybe the lighting in our bedroom or maybe the batteries in the remote were weak. But it seems that you can't enter the third digit quickly enough before the IRD switches to a two digit channel automatically. I have literly entered a channel such as 389 and it takes either the remote or the IRD so long to accept all three digits, what usually happens is that it will take the first two fairly quickly and then tune to channel 38 and then seconds later tune to channel 9!!! I haven't had problems with the IRD rebooting itself ever. Another difference that I noticed with this IRD is that the black background seems to flash a lighter shade when in the screen saver the moving icon (you know the RCA,UTV, DTV icon bouncing around the black background) hits the top of the screen, this doesn't happen with my UTV in my livingroom. Anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I believe this is not a remote related issue, but a UTV slowness issue. I use same remote to control another DTV receiver for same TV. It sees no lack in entry.

The slowness is due to something inside the UTV processing chain, and this started after 3.5

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the utv slowness problem is a bandwith issue with DTV. DTV has been using a lot of there banwith lately to attack hackers, when they do this the ird and access card go through extra checks, this slows down the utv. When dtv is not doing these extra security measures I notice my UTV is very fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know there has been some controversy over this in the past but I'll put in my two cents worth anyway.

I leave my UTV on 24/7, it has been use for over a year. I noticed a definite speed increase with the 3.5 upgrade. It has not changed since the upgrade. My UTV is unmodified (original HD) and the only real problem I've ever had with it was the Spot Beam problem and the modem not being able to find a dial-tone. The 3.5 fixed both of those issues.

My wife and I are very good about deleting shows after we watch them so in the past year, I think I've only had one show roll off automatically. Currently, my HD is at 35% with twelve shows recorded.

I've heard that maintenance is performed (UTV defrags) when the unit is powered off (but still plugged in). I'm not sure that I buy that since mine seems fine and the only times its ever been off were during a power outage or when I unplugged it to get the modem to respond to a dial-tone.

Do you guys (or gals) that have a performance problem leave your unit on 24/7 or do you turn it off every night?

What is the average percentage of HD used?

Do you delete regularly or just let the older recordings fall off?

Have you performed a soft reset recently (unplugged the unit for 30 minutes or more)?

Maybe we can get an idea of the best practices if these or any other questions people come up with are answered here for everyone to see.

Just fishing for info,

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.