AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a VGA to Component converter so that I can hook my HTPC (Mac Mini) to my TV, using something other than S-Video, which has crappy quality. My TV has no HDMI, or DVI, or VGA
So I settled for component video. I am not really willing to shell out $100 for something like the Audio Authority 9A60, so I found the RCA VHDC300 for $25. Is it any good? I don't think it matters but my TV is an RCA too. Thanks!

P.S. I have already looked into just a cable, they do not work with the mac mini, and my TV does not accept RGB.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
All I can tell you from experience is that cheap converters give poor results-having been through a few of them in trying to save a buck. Can't speak to this one in particular, but I've long since learned that there's a reason why some HDMI switcher/component converters etc. are $25 and "real" ones cost upwards of $100-$200. In every single case I through away the cheap one after trying it once.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so it came in, and it is really great! It took me a few days to find the right resolution/scan rate, and adjust the Front and Back porches. The RCA VDHC300 works perfectly at 1080i. My only problem, and I don't know if this is the adapters fault, or my Mac Mini's is that the picture was cut off, so much that I got to the limit of what the front and back porch adjustment could do. Luckily I found out how to enter the service menu of my TV, and could adjust the picture position. Overall great picture quality, MUCH better than S-Video.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The issues with front/back porch and picture size may be because this converter was specifically sold for use with the RCA DTC-100 and Proscan PSHD105 HDTV tuners. Those tuners have a menu setting for use with the VHDC300 that affects their video output timing. Since it was made for one specific device rather than being a general RGB-to-component converter, its price was relatively low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts