AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between your standard RCA cable and component video cable. I have a slave television some 75 feet from the source. I would like to make my own component video cables to save some cost. When I am looking for cable and heads are there any specs I need to pay attention to?

Thanks,

CHAD

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
RCA pin plugs or phono plugs are the style of connector, not a kind of cable. Component video uses standard 75 ohm coax, RG6 or RG59, terminated with an RCA plug. You can make up your own, or buy premade cable and use F to RCA adapters sold by Radio Shack and many others. If you make up your own use crimped or compression connectors, not twist-on.

For a longish run use RG6. The connectors need not be "gold plated" or expensive specialty brands. There are many types of RG6, copper vs copper plated center conductor, quad shielded, etc. Famous name brand cable sold at the local home center is typically indifferent stuff coming from China; some not so good some just fine. Cable sold for satellite receiver use is often a bit better. Cable sold off the spool at HD/Lowes is usually OK. Cable sold by sponsors of this forum such as monoprice.com and bluejeans cable will be good. Let them know what you are going to do and they will make recommendations.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo82 /forum/post/0

I have a slave television some 75 feet from the source. I would like to make my own component video cables to save some cost. When I am looking for cable and heads are there any specs I need to pay attention to?

What resolution(s) will you be using with the component link?

The relevant specs are:

Characteristic impedance (as noted above, 75 Ohms is a good target. You are looking for an exact match, so hitting the target is best.)

Capacitance (given in pF/foot - lower is better)

DC resistance (given in milliOhms/foot - lower is better)

Shield coverage (generally given in % - higher is better)

Ander any circumstances, you should consider using Canare connectors - they are about as good as it gets.

BlueJeans Cable has a great website that explains much of what you need to know about this topic.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
All three cables should be made from the same reel of cable.

All three cables should be exactly the same length.

(and no, I don't know what exactly means. It could mean 1/2 inch or it could be 1 foot)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.