AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted here about a week ago with a question on how much it would be to repair an RCA DTC-100 that had been partially toasted by lightning.

Basically the satellite half of it no longer works. It sees no signal on the line. A new one works fine. The OTA portion and the two TV tuners works fine, as does the HDTV decoding for the OTA.

I called RCA who faxed a "licensed RCA repair center" twice and got no response. I finally got the name of the place and went over there. Now I kind of doubt they are maing this up, but this is what they told me.

Basically no one is an RCA repair center. All they do is check to see if the thing works and the end-user is stupid. If it truly has a problem, you send it back and get a refurbished one for $250. The salesman tried to convince not to go with a refurbished one and buy a new one for $500.

Since I had already gotten a replacement by a favor, I simply took mine home and am using it as a TV tuner for my HTPC because it seems to have a rather nice demodulator and s-video output.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.