AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have TWC HD in Manhattan and the D* in the country. I just received in the mail a letter from RCN saying they're going HD in my building starting in May with ABC,NBC,FOX,PBS,HBO,and Showtime PLUS an HD Tier(sound familiar?) of HDNet, HDMovies, DiscoveryHD and ESPN-HD. I of course IMMEDIATELY called TWC to find out if they would compete or if I was going to switch(even though TWC Does get CBS-HD and RCN doesn't) The person at TWC said I had to call the HD dept. which isn't open Sundays, but she said she heard TWC was adding channels next month. When I said HDNet, ESPN-HD, etc. she said "yeah those are the ones". I'll bet they will do it since they always seem to outdo RCN when pushed. This just further convinces me that cable is WAY ahead of sattelite when it comes to HD. If TWC matches RCN I'll get 11 HD channels with in-demand HD not far away. I wouldn't be surprised if MSG-HD shows up soon too

·
Registered
111 Posts
BelB64 ... How long has RCN offered digital there? They're going digital here in Chicago in September (according to an RCN technician). So I wonder if they'll just do it all at once, digital AND HD, since they're upgrading the headends anyway and since Comcast will, in theory, have their HD rolled out by then.

·
Registered
820 Posts
WOW!!! If RCN is really launching HD this summer in Manhattan, then surely RCN owned Starpower in Maryland will hopefully have it by the end of the year! This is great news...Is that line-up official? I may have no need to drop Starpower for Dish Net after all! :p

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No CBS?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
How long has RCN offered digital there?
I had fiber-delivered digital cable from RCN here in NYC several years ago. I switched to them after long service from TWC, then went back to TWC after they fiber-upgraded my area in Manhattan and offered a still better cable package.

Great news from BelB64. Thanks for the info! Since I've got RCN (not used) and TWC incoming cables, I'd consider adding RCN's service just to get the additional HD tier. But I also hope TWC keeps up with the competition and adds HDNet, etc. so I don't have to manipulate an A/B switch and more wiring. -- John

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RCN rep said no CBS at this time. She also said noone had CBS which is incorrect as TWC of NYC has it. I'm going to call the TWC-HD rep today to find out the chance of getting this tier there. The TWC rep I spoke to said she "heard" we were getting these channels next month but it wasn't really her area. I also went from TWC to RCN and back to TWC.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P.S. Here is the phone number at RCN where you can get the info on their HD channels. It is some RCN central location so I assume it services all RCN cities and not just NYC. 1-866-603-4469

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got through talking to Starpower Customer Service and the very good news is that the entire metro Washington Starpower network will be offering HD service as of June 2.

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask what channels they would be offering..Duhhh!!

If you have an HD set they will come out and replace your digital box with one for HD.

Good news!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just spoke to RCN rep.

He said that ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS are the standard channels in HD.

HBO and Showtime HD free if subscribed to the chennels.

Plus a digital tier that includes ESPN, HDNET, HD Movies and Discovery.

I didn't get pricing, but this is clearly the fully monty when it comes to HD availability. I don't understand why CBS would be missing from the line up?

TWC better get their house in order or there will be a masive HD turn over. Maybe some competitive pricing for a change too!

Drew

·
Registered
820 Posts
TomM_MD................

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Pinch me please. Who did you talk to? I've had so much bad luck with talking to CSRs that know what they are talking about. Can you find out for us what channels will be offered here (I hope the same line-up as RCN NYC)? Can you also find out if Resilink Gold and Platinum customers will have to pay extra for the HD channels?

I'm scared I'll get the famous CSR line "HDTV? Our cable is already digital!"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lewis, why don't you call and see if you get the same story. And make sure to ask about the channels they'll have.

It sounded like he had actual talking points that he was reading from. He talked about the roll-out in Boston and New York (even saying that while they were scheduled for May 15 there may be a slight delay.)

He then said that the entire metro Starpower network would have HD by June and that all I needed to do was call up after June 2 and they will arrange to swap boxes.

I think he said there was no charge but I'm not sure if that was for the new box or for HD service.

He also said there would be something in the mail soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The pricing for the Motorola HD box is $5 a month from RCN.

The tier with ESPN HD, HDNet, etc. is $12 a month -- at least it

is for my account . I spoke with the sales office.

The reason CBS is not included at startup is because RCN

could not gain access to the facilities at CBS to do the technical

link. CBS had things going on with the war coverage. It is not a

licensing fee issue, according to what I was told. CBS will be

offered in the future in HD. (Please don't take this out on

RCN or CBS......No, I don't work for either company. I

believe CBS has done more for HDTV than any other network

and RCN is certainly going to have an impressive HDTV lineup.)

You cannot make an appointment until May 15 in NY for an

HD box installation appointment.

(I did not find out if the $5 is in addition to the fee for a digital box

or if you just return your digital box and pay $5 a month for

the HD box.)

·
Registered
820 Posts
$12 sounds a bit too much for 4 HD channels, and 4 or 5 broadcast channels which the cable industry is required by law to provide...prehaps the HD cable box fee is included in the $12 charge.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They are not currently required to provide the HD local channels by law. Existing must carry is only for one channel. There is not yet any digital must carry.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not quite true. There's a new station (in Florida, I think) that's ONLY digital and cable IS required to carry it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spoke with RCN again for a clarification on pricing after

reading the previous postings. This is information that applies

to New York City. I do not know if it applies to other RCN areas.

1) When you get the HD box it replaces your current digital box.

The charge for the HD box varies according to your package.

I have an a la carte package -- not a bundled RCN package (Resilink) --

so I would pay $9.95 for the HD box, which is $5 more than I am

paying for my digital box. (Rates for the digital box rose to $4.95

as of the end of April, according to RCN. ) If you have a bundled Resilink

package, the total charge for the HD box is $5.

2) When you get the HD box, the box fee includes the local broadcast

channels (ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS) in HDTV.

3) The special HD tier (Discovery, ESPN HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies)

is $12.

4) It is possible that some of the Resilink bundles/pricing could

change when HD is introduced (possibly changing pricing for

HBO, Showtime and even the HD tier noted above). The CSR

did not have all those details yet.

5) I could not find out if RCN's Motorola HD box will have coax and/or

optical digital audio outputs. I was told several weeks ago that

there will be 1394 (FireWire) but it will not be enabled until later

this year.

I have my HDTV set and I am ready to go!!! As noted in my previous

posting, no appointments can be made until May 15.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It would be silly if RCN's 5100 didn't have a SPDIF. AFAIK, the SPDIF is standard on the 5100. Finally, after 2+ years, I'll be able to get 5.1 :)

As far as the HD tier, $12 sounds pretty good, compared the pricing rumours I've heard for Dish's upcoming HDTV package. Prehaps RCN will also carry Comcast Sports Net HD for the Wash. DC metro area....Does anyone know if Comcast is going to distribute CSNHD to other cable co.s??

I didn't have time last night to call, so I'll try to call Starpower tonight.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just called Starpower, and here is all of the official information as I have it:

HDTV launch for Mont. Co. MD/Washington D.C. metro area: June 2nd 2003

Cable box: Motorolla 5100. Box WILL have coax output DD5.1 . Firewire output is unknown.

Waiting list for box swap: None yet....

Channel line-up:

NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS - included in HD Box fee. $5 for Resilink.

HBO HD and Showtime HD - no charge if already a subscriber.

ESPN, Discovery HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies - $12 a month for all customers, even Resilink.

Installation: No install fee that is known of right now. You must provide your own Component cable, or Starpower will provide one for $25.

If anyone recieves more information about a waiting list, please let everyone here know...

More info as I get it....:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Rgrossman wrote: "Not quite true. There's a new station (in Florida, I think) that's ONLY digital and cable IS required to carry it."

Forgive me. The law requires carriage of only one signal. This oddball Florida station does not change the law. It further establishes it. You can force carriage of one signal, analog or digital. OK?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.