AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...over on the FatWallet forums? check out THIS THREAD ...about half way down.

sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ic.....that last sentence is more like our boy:

got 5.0 cant find it what it called

for a minute there, i thought he was depriving the FW'ers of his skillz ;).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting. But what had me really concerned were the comments about disabling the transmission of system configuration if you have hacked your unit.

I didn't disable the transmission of my system configuration information as I didn't know I could disable it. So I feel a little bit stupid. Alright, very stupid. I mean I new they could terminate my subscription if they found out the unit was hacked, but I didn't know I had an option to prevent them from finding out ! Has everybody else out there been disabling their configuration information ?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. If you will notice, the great part of the post you are referring to is quoting from a post earlier in the thread by "gfsInc" i.e. those aren't rcreplay's words, but gfsInc's--which is why the English is better (no offense rcreplay).

However, what bothers me is the content of the gfsInc posts:

Post #1

"BTW - for those of you already discussing hacking one of these units remember that the lifetime service activation is tied to the unit. If your hacked unit breaks within the warranty period or if you screw up your unit, your warranty and lifetime service contact are void. Also if you opt to use the broadband connection for program guide updates be sure to disable the option that transfers your RaplayTV configuration and system information back to ReplayTV. The default setting is to transfer this information when updating via broadband. As per the ReplayTV service agreement, ReplayTV reserves the right to terminate your subscription service if they determine your unit is hacked. You can view the current electronic version of the ReplayTV suscriber agreement via the ReplayTV setup menu under personal settings."

A response from another poster

"Strange...the tweak sites have had a ton of info for a while now and I have NEVER seen this issue mentioned!"

Post #2

"LOL! Then you have not been visiting any of the hack sites. All the major ReplayTV hack sies for the 5000 series have discussed this issue at length. It is easily fixed by disabling the information transfer option in your preferences in any 5000 series unit."

Now, I have been around here awhile (lurking mostly), and I don't recall discussing this issue at length nor do I see any such option to turn off in my preferences. I do recall the court ordered collection a while back, but I don't think this is what the poster is referring to. The thrust of his posts is that if you "hack" your new ReplayTV by adding a larger hard drive ReplayTV might terminate your activation unless you disable this option that may or may not actually exist.

I guess my point is, with all the people upgrading (including myself) and all the various HOWTOs, I have never seen such an option mentioned. Am I missing something or is this guy spreading misinformation?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
ds he mntn hw 2 dsabl the optn

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Even if you disable the transmission, the little green men will still know and tell D&M.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
ds he mntn hw 2 dsabl the optn
It requires a jp1.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Robman, you mean his admonition that "t is easily fixed by disabling the information transfer option in your preferences in any 5000 series unit" clear enough for you?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I have no clue what he is talking about (and I'm not sure he does either).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I personally think that the "system config transmission" thing is nothing to worry about. If I was D&M AND I wanted to enforce things, well then, if you disable, I cancel.

Certainly the Replay folks monitor this site well enough to figure out at least who some of these people are. So if they really wanted to, they could start canceling subscriptions just based upon observations obtained from this forum.

BTW, it's really hard for me to have to think up all the 2 to 4 letter abbreviations. I guess I don't have enough brain capacity ! Interpreting somebody else's is far easier !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe he is talking about the mtreplaytv.com option. I agree this whole concept is traveling at ludicrous speed, but this is an option that transfers information if checked would indicated if you upgraded you drive.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
I agree this whole concept is traveling at ludicrous speed,
I have it on good authority gfsInc is doing PhD thesis on trolls and

urban legends.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
cn we gt ths thrd bk on tpc plz :)