AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The multichannel input on the RDC-7 is "featured" as a "7.1 multichannel input" but the accompanying DB-25 adapter has only 6 RCA Phono jacks making it 5.1. Is this input 5.1 or 7.1? If 7.1, it would seem that I need a different adapter.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It's probably a 7.1 input and, if that is the case, you will need a different adapter ( that's another thing that the prof. reviewers didn't mention when they reviewed the RDC-7). 7.1 adapters are very hard to find + they are quite expensive. IR should have included a 7.1 adapter with the unit. Still, there are no 7.1 DVD-A's or SACD's that I know of so for now you wouldn't need a 7.1 adapter.

R

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Razvanel
It's probably a 7.1 input and, if that is the case, you will need a different adapter ( that's another thing that the prof. reviewers didn't mention when they reviewed the RDC-7). 7.1 adapters are very hard to find + they are quite expensive. IR should have included a 7.1 adapter with the unit. Still, there are no 7.1 DVD-A's or SACD's that I know of so for now you wouldn't need a 7.1 adapter.

R
Thanks, Razvanel. My HTPC soundcard has a 7.1 analog output that I'd like to hook up in addition to the S/PDIF out. I'll try emailing IR.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Cobalt Cable has both 5.1 and 7.1 channel RCA to DB25 cables that look to be well made. They sell off of their web site, which is easy to find.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Goff
Cobalt Cable has both 5.1 and 7.1 channel RCA to DB25 cables that look to be well made. They sell off of their web site, which is easy to find.
They're on my short list of companies for component (and other) cables. I'll add that to the list. Thank you.

FWIW, I've emailed Onkyo USA about including a 5.1 adapter for a 7.1 input. Duh!

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan_R
Onkyo apparently sells it separately in their online store . .

~~Nathan
Thanks Nathan.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Nathan,

Great find! Why Onkyo didn't include it with the RDC-7, Onkyo 989 or Integra 9.1 units is a mystery.

R
Was it only a 5.1 input when the unit was first introduced? If so, a cynic might speculate that they bought a bazillion of them then and they're still including them. No less perplexing, but no longer a mystery.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Good question, Razvanel.

They're probably saving it as the u3 "upgrade" and giving a $1 discount for those who purchase the u2 upgrade. :D

Pepar-- the original release included the 5.1 connector.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
It was a 7.1 input from the very beginning.

How do you like THX Ultra2? Amazing, isn't it?

R
I have some work to do on acoustical treatment and a false wall with a microperfed screen before I can assemble the gear. 'Tis back in the box after initial unpacking inspection. This purchase has me doubling my time on he project. I have 5 MB of webspace with my email account and will start to blog my theater upgrades soon.

And yes, I can't wait to listen to the THX Ultra2!

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Newyorker
Pepar,

What speakers and amps are you hooking up you RDC 7 to? I will be getting mine in the next few days.
My LCRs are M&K THX Ultra S-150s and side and rear surrounds are M&K THX Ultra SS-150s. They will be driven by an ATI 2007. I have dual Hsu TN-1220HO subs with the Hsu 500 watt amp. Should be pretty sweet when I get it all together. My previous setup was 5.1 driven by an ATI 1505. This'll be my first 7.1. The 1505's now driving my PC's 5.1 system.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pepar
My LCRs are M&K THX Ultra S-150s and side and rear surrounds are M&K THX Ultra SS-150s. They will be driven by an ATI 2007. I have dual Hsu TN-1220HO subs with the Hsu 500 watt amp. Should be pretty sweet when I get it all together. My previous setup was 5.1 driven by an ATI 1505. This'll be my first 7.1. The 1505's now driving my PC's 5.1 system.
Should sound great! Give us all a review once it's all hooked up.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Pepar,

What speakers and amps are you hooking up you RDC 7 to? I will be getting mine in the next few days.
What gear rounds out your setup?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got Martin Logan Aerius for the front, Martin Logan Cinema Center channel, Def Tech 15TL sub, Def Tech Bp2X for the surrounds. They are powered by 200 wpc Adcom 5800 for the L&R and Adcom 5803 for the center and rears. If the RDC works out well I will replace the amps next.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
I've got Martin Logan Aerius for the front, Martin Logan Cinema Center channel, Def Tech 15TL sub, Def Tech Bp2X for the surrounds. They are powered by 200 wpc Adcom 5800 for the L&R and Adcom 5803 for the center and rears. If the RDC works out well I will replace the amps next.
Adcom's are reputed to be clean, clear and open sounding with well-controlled low end. Do you consider them your "weak spot?"

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes. They play fine up to a point. At higher volumes I think it has some problems. My room is 23x21 with 11.5 ceilings. At high volume the sound becomes very harsh. I called Martin Logan and asked them what they thought was the cause and they said while the aerius are a little small for my room size they said it was probably the Adcom amps. He said the 200 wpc on the adcoms are probably overated when compared with a B&K at similar wattage. I was suprised how negative he was about the Adcoms.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.