AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy this unit at a great price. I would prefer to wait for Sony's HDD unit, but don't know when it will be out. I have Tivo, so I have some hard drive capability. I don't see the need to do a lot of editing, but there is one thing I want to be able to do....

Can I copy camcorder recordings to a -RW and be able to add labels to the different recordings on the one DVD? In other words, my daughters play basketball. If I want to put 5 games on one DVD, can I do that with the Sony and be able to put a label for each one so I can quickly go to the game I desire?

Thanks ahead of time...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes. But be prepared for some very tedious entry of labels. It's a frustrating and cumbersome approach, especially if you want to use upper and lower case. That said, this is probably a general restriction with non-QWERTY remotes - not sure if any competitor has a better approach.

I hate labeling my GX7 DVD's with a passion! :-(

Mark

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by markwill
Yes. But be prepared for some very tedious entry of labels. It's a frustrating and cumbersome approach, especially if you want to use upper and lower case. That said, this is probably a general restriction with non-QWERTY remotes - not sure if any competitor has a better approach.

I hate labeling my GX7 DVD's with a passion! :-(

Mark
I know it may be a pain, but as long as it is possible, I don't mind taking the time....I will have a label for the DVD and will keep the individual titles short and sweet..... Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, the Sony will create a new TITLE each time you start a new recording. You can also edit the titles and create a disk name.

It also has the capablility to capture directly from your camcorder in DV format if that is the kind of camera you have. I also have DirecTiVo series 2 and a Sony Standalone Series 1 Tivo in my setup all connected with S-Video.

If you use the DVD-RW VR mode (as opposed to the VIDEO mode) you can even delete scenes out of the middle of the titles and add chapter marks. Be aware that the VR disc may not play in DVD players.

I've had my unit about a month and I really like it. I was also debating about the HDD issue, but having DirecTiVo, I didn't think I'd need another device with a HDD to record on. I thought maybe to get the Panasonic that has a HDD, but reviews said the Sony had better picture quality. It is a bit more expensive, though. I'm a little biased toward Sony.

I've started taking the disks I create witht the Sony and editing them using the Ulead MovieFactory 3 Disc Creator on my PC.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by back2future
Yes, the Sony will create a new TITLE each time you start a new recording. You can also edit the titles and create a disk name.

It also has the capablility to capture directly from your camcorder in DV format if that is the kind of camera you have. I also have DirecTiVo series 2 and a Sony Standalone Series 1 Tivo in my setup all connected with S-Video.

If you use the DVD-RW VR mode (as opposed to the VIDEO mode) you can even delete scenes out of the middle of the titles and add chapter marks. Be aware that the VR disc may not play in DVD players.

So, just to clarify for my simple mind, I can title each different recording on the disc, and if I am using -RW, I can go in and delete some scenes? Could you delete commercials? Just curious...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by coatie
So, just to clarify for my simple mind, I can title each different recording on the disc, and if I am using -RW, I can go in and delete some scenes? Could you delete commercials? Just curious...
Yes. Each time RECORD is started, a new title entry is created. When you insert a new -RW disk, or chose format to erase a disk, the recorder prompts you to chose either VIDEO or VR mode. Disks that are recorded in VR mode allow you to delete the commercials. The space on the disk is freed and is available for reuse. I find that very useful. I can fit 4 1 hour episodes on disk recorded at the LP 3 hour mode...Although for that 'last' hour, I have to pause the recorder for the commercials to keep from overflowing the disk.

Although I have noticed that when I edit the recording, the last frame before the cut is frozen for about half a second. So I make sure the cut is on the black frame between scenes.

Anyone have ideas on why that may be happening?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.