AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site a week or so ago and have been spending many hrs reading threads...great resource!!

We have recently...finally...gotten a new HD TV and am researching what to get as far as a signal source...Comcast HD cable (already have standard now) or go to DTV or Dish. Since recording the new HD signal in the same manor that we've been recording to HDD (in full HD) is out I was wondering about keeping the current Sony HX-900 or going to one of the other old DVRs that are hdmi capable. I know none of them actually record in HD but they do a decent, and perhaps better, job from what I've read, than my Sony. Are the DHG-500s that much better? what about the E-55s or 3575H/37s?

I really like being able to archive programs for long periods of time on the HDD but a 160g drive (Comcast's offering) won't hold much HD. (I've read all the threads about externals and have seen little but problems associated with them, frankly) I just can't stomach paying a monthly fee to record and then watch programs (tivo, etc) so, what to do...

I'm thinking of just sticking with what I have until something decent hits the market...or...adding the Comcast DVR unit (I'd rather buy a DVR than rent but what can ya do?) and trying to get used to the dinky drive or go with an external and hope the HD(s) doesn't need reformatting after a power failure

DTV/Dish is an option but will be somewhat of a hassle to get into our place.

...but...then we get into the monthly fees...

suggestions?

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
The DHG's are the best of all those, of course, because they're actually HD. But I'd wait on one of those at least until after the analog cutoff. Actually, if you don't really need a CableCARD slot, I'd go for a used LG 3410a, because it's got manual clock setting, which the Sony doesn't.

Of the other three SD models, I'd say the Panny EH55 has the best PQ of them all, that looks best on an HD display. It's easily got the "sharpest" PQ. The Philips/Maggy over HDMI probably won't be noticably better then the HX900 over component (and the PQ from it's digital tuner, if you're planning on ever using that, isn't all that sharp).

If I were you I'd either go with a 3410a (check the "HDTV Recorders" forum for more info), if you can find one for not too much (and that you're sure is in good working order), or just wait. At least with the cable company's DVR you will get all the expanded basic channels in digital.

If you're still getting an analog TVGOS signal from your cable company, either the LG or the Sony will give you the guide - maybe - if they haven't "stripped" it out (the EH55 too, but it's only got an analog tuner).

Dish actually has all-HD "Turbo Packages" now for new customers, if you want to pay the piper monthly for a DVR (although you don't have to get the packages with a DVR - the first single HD or dual-HD/SD tuner is free). You can either get the installation for free with a 2-year commitment, or $75.00 for no commitment (unless they've raised that, too).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/15469880

The DHG's are the best of all those, of course, because they're actually HD. But I'd wait on one of those at least until after the analog cutoff. Actually, if you don't really need a CableCARD slot, I'd go for a used LG 3410a, because it's got manual clock setting, which the Sony doesn't.

Of the other three SD models, I'd say the Panny EH55 has the best PQ of them all, that looks best on an HD display. It's easily got the "sharpest" PQ. The Philips/Maggy over HDMI probably won't be noticably better then the HX900 over component (and the PQ from it's digital tuner, if you're planning on ever using that, isn't all that sharp).

If I were you I'd either go with a 3410a (check the "HDTV Recorders" forum for more info), if you can find one for not too much (and that you're sure is in good working order), or just wait. At least with the cable company's DVR you will get all the expanded basic channels in digital.

If you're still getting an analog TVGOS signal from your cable company, either the LG or the Sony will give you the guide - maybe - if they haven't "stripped" it out (the EH55 too, but it's only got an analog tuner).

Dish actually has all-HD "Turbo Packages" now for new customers, if you want to pay the piper monthly for a DVR (although you don't have to get the packages with a DVR - the first single HD or dual-HD/SD tuner is free). You can either get the installation for free with a 2-year commitment, or $75.00 for no commitment (unless they've raised that, too).

Thanks, I'll check on the LG...so far nothing fs that I can find quickly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts