AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be reading many favorable comments about Pioneer's DVR-520H-S with 80 GB Hard Drive. Why is it priced in the range of other HD DVD recorders that have upwards to 160 GB?

Is it that much better a recorder, or it just pricey?

If a person chooses it will the size ultimately not be as desirable as one with a hard disk twice the size?

Are there any other comparable recorders in the $300 - $400 price range?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Even with the relatively small HDD, it's desirable for several reasons, but one in particular: it lacks the TV Guide EPG that has shown to be troublesome for a lot of people. It's not just the owners of the newest Pioneer 533/633 either; the TVGOS was included with certain Panasonic and Sony models, and many owners of those brands have written here to complain about the TVGOS as well.

A few have reported that the x31/x33 series aren't as intuitive to use as the x20 series, which IMHO wasn't that intuitive to begin with. There are also some feature omissions as well.

The advantage that the current x31/x33 Pioneers hold over the x20 series are DL recording capability, IR blaster for those who need to use an STB, and according to those who have owned both, superior PQ. However, as I've reported before, the x20 Pioneers are perfectly adequate for anything less than downconverted HiDef.

Although smallish, I don't find the 80GB HDD to be too much of a hindrance. I record everything in FINE (1 hour) or MN26 (1:30) modes, and I have yet to find myself having to delete, or transfer to disc, a program that I am not ready to archive yet simply due to a lack of HDD space. If anything, it keeps me on my toes when it comes to making a decision to archive or not. On my Sony recorder, I have stuff that's been on its 160GB HDD since December (when I bought the thing) and have been too lazy to get around to, because I know I have so much disk space.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone know how to undelete a file within the 520hs, also what format is the HD in, and we were able to strip a 2gig file, that is timecoded for about 30minutes (the correct time) but its black with no sound when playing on Windows....

Any help or direction would be appreciated

v-man

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man
Anyone know how to undelete a file within the 520hs, also what format is the HD in, and we were able to strip a 2gig file, that is timecoded for about 30minutes (the correct time) but its black with no sound when playing on Windows....

Any help or direction would be appreciated

v-man
If you deleted a file in the Navigator menu then it is gone for good. If you deleted a title in the Playlist (via the HDD to DVD Copy menu) then the original is still on the HDD for you to add back to the playlist.

I believe the HDD is formated for VR-mode.

I'm not sure what you mean by stripping a 2 gig file. Did you somehow extract a file directly from the HDD? Why? (I don't want to know how). Just copy it to a DVD and rip it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.