AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to go with a Toshiba DST-1000 box, but checked the horizon w/ compass and S***, of 360 degrees, I found my 80 ft. oak tree from hell sitting right at 119 (what I understand is the Directv HD reference!) I am now gonna either spend some serious $$$ on a tree surgeon, or better option, go with Dish. Please advise me of the options w/ Dish (I need TWO dishes, right?...where is the other dish reference? and WHAT "ELEVATION" ARE THE DISH SATELLITES AT?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE:
I was planning to go with a Toshiba DST-1000 box, but checked the horizon w/ compass and S***, of 360 degrees, I found my 80 ft. oak tree from hell sitting right at 119 (what I understand is the Directv HD reference!) I am now gonna either spend some serious $$$ on a tree surgeon, or better option, go with Dish. Please advise me of the options w/ Dish (I need TWO dishes, right?...where is the other dish reference? and WHAT "ELEVATION" ARE THE DISH SATELLITES AT?
For your ZIP Code 24540

Azimuth Elivation

Satellite 61.5 159 43

Satellite 110 232 36

Satellite 119 241 30

Satellite 148 264 8

Taken from DISH Network Downloadable azimuth calculator available at:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/cust_service/installation/azimuth_elevation/index .shtml

Direct Download at: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...ielevation.zip

I hope this helps you.

------------------

Hot

[This message has been edited by Hot (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
For your zipcode, the azimuth (compass reading) for DirecTV is 221.3 degrees. If you go with the HDTV Dual LNB dish, it is 232.6 degrees. The "110" you refer to is the parking point above the equator for the satellite. Where you actually point the dish to receive the signal, depends on where you live.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, woowoo and Lee L--I enjoy a good yuc-yuck myself! PJH, thanks very much...I would be in HDTV nirvana if the COMPASS point for Directv HDTV signal was at your specified 232.6---is that a definite affirmative on that point? I keep seeing a 119 degree quote. Thanks once more for a response.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a Dish system so I am not sure about what slot HDTV is but you can go to www.dbsforums.com and get some more help there. They also have an azimuth and elevation calc there. It is a little out of date since it does not have the multi slot dish info, but should get you at least the individual slots info that you need.

[This message has been edited by Lee L (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the lead Lee...the dbs forum w/ adjusted azimuth was GREAT !

Even better, it gave each company and specific satellite. Great site!

[This message has been edited by WOLVERNOLE (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.