AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently installing a multi-room audio system and have a question regarding impedance matching. I will have three rooms each with two 8 ohm speakers. Each room will be controlled with an impedance matching volume control. Based on this scenario (a total of six speakers), should the impedance match on the volume controls be set to 4x or something different. Is anyone aware of an article that explains the method to calculate this?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe you want it on the 8 setting. I use truaudio vc's and they clearly state in the instruction manual. For most equipment you want to stay between 4 and 8 ohms. So figure out what impedance your speakers are and check the manual and you shouldn't have any problems. If you run the impedance to low then you could cause damage to you amp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here is the accepted formula for calculating your switch settings:

Speaker Impedance

------------------------------------------------ = System Impedance

# of speakers connected to channel

Amplifiers Minimum Impedance Rating

------------------------------------------------ = Impedance Jumper Setting

System Impedance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for your responses. Let me tell you what else I have found. I found another manufacturer's instructions for a similar volume control that said 6 8ohm speakers should yield a jumper setting of 8x. I say similar volume control, but I do not know that they are the same. I also asked the retailer help desk where I purchased the volume controls and their response was to set it to 8x.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Should I try 4x and see if the receiver gets hot?

I really appreciate the help all of you on this forum provide.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Like I said in my post (above), more than 4 and less than 9 (in your case 6)= 8x

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacker8472 /forum/post/0

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Let me tell you what else I have found. I found another manufacturer's instructions for a similar volume control that said 6 8ohm speakers should yield a jumper setting of 8x. I say similar volume control, but I do not know that they are the same. I also asked the retailer help desk where I purchased the volume controls and their response was to set it to 8x.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Should I try 4x and see if the receiver gets hot?

I really appreciate the help all of you on this forum provide.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Now I reread your post. 6 pair would be 8x, but 4x is the correct recommendation for 3 pair--sorry for the lack of clarity.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacker8472 /forum/post/0

Sorry Brian. I understood you to be saying set it at 4x in your prior post. 8x is unanimous now.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.