AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be receiving my (free!) 2 UTV setup today, and would like to get to upgrading one of the drives to 120GB as soon as possible. I've been reading a lot about people's UTV tuner hardware failing, where they have to send the unit back to Sony or wherever to get it fixed (under warranty). Assuming I upgrade my box now, and assuming (hopefully not!) in the next few months my box dies, I'm going to need to put the original HD back in the box before I send it back and make it look like I never messed around with it. I know upgrading the drive supposedly 'voids' the warranty, but if I put the original drive back in there and get it working, I would assume they would be none the wiser.

So, my question is, what steps would I need to do to get the original drive working again? I have no desire to put the original drive in my PC and use it as an additional drive, so once I take it out of the UTV, it's just going to sit in a drawer or something. I'm just keeping it around in case I need it for the warranty.

It sounds like pre-3.5 being on the drive, that I would just 'noobie-ize' it, and then reconnect it, and it would download what it needed and start working again. I'm a little confused as to what happens now post-3.5. Would I have to do anything, or could I just pop it in and it would work as if nothing changed?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Everytime you put new hard disk in the UTV, it will format the drive and call home to download the update. So even you put your original hard drive back, somehow it sees it as different drive and it will format your hard drive and call home. I don't know how to explan it but that is what I see on mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.