AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a used 2003 version of the Resonant Engineering XXX 18" sub via Craigslist and got a steal of a deal. Seems like a rare sub to be used for HT, but Ricci's amazing build inspired me. I don't quite have the room to mimic his build and I am budget constrained as well...I have about $400 to spend on a box and amp and my original idea is as follows:

10-12 cu. ft. sealed box

Behringer ep2500

I searched these forums and most people say that the Behringer EP4000 is the same thing as the EP2500, otherwise I'd definitely buy that.

Recommendations on a reasonable EQ? I buy stuff on Craigslist and Ebay all the time so I can pick up a used one, no prob. I have seen people recommend Behringer DCX2496. If I can live without one for a while, I'd prefer that, unless it would sound lousy w/o it. I do not plan on EQing the sub to be ruler straight down to 8 hz or anything.

Here's the other gear I'm working with:

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 354

Blu Ray: PS3

Xbox 360

Projector: Epson PowerLite 6100 Home Cinema Projector

Screen: 122" Stewart Greyhawk

Speakers: L880 L & R, LC2 center, L820 surround. I will bi-amp these at a future date as the budget allows. The sub would overpower these speakers otherwise.

The room is 16' x 24' with 8 foot ceilings with a hallway that is 5' x 18'. 60% movies, 30 gaming 10% music.

Yes, I'm on a budget but I don't want to cheap out and half-ass it. If spending a few more bucks here or there gets the job done much better, then I want to go that route. I believe the EP2500 will do the job well as it is often recommended for other builds (ie Mal-X). I don't need face-melting bass
, but I'm not opposed to it
. Also, what kind of cables/connectors should I be buying for the sub/amp combo? I built a few car sub boxes 7-8 years ago but this is different. Looking for your advice and recommendations as I'd love to have this up and running in the next three weeks. I will provide pics of the build. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Nate

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The 03 model is a completely different beast from the current version. It has the 12 spoke basket and is XBL^2 instead of split coil. It's still a hefty sub from what I hear.Similar to a Tumult MKII 18" if they would've ever made one. I don't know the TSP specs on that driver. Can you dig them up and we can help you out? I think xmax was around 32mm one way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ricci,

I was told that this is what they are:

Fs 29.0 Hz

Re 1.9 DVC

Qms 5.09

Qes 0.64

Qts 0.59

Sd cm2 1210

Vas 244.2

Xmax 1 way 32mm

Neo Dan, I realize that the setup would be amp limited with the EP2500 and am looking for a "you'd be severely disappointed with the EP2500" kind of comment. Perhaps I can go with the EP2500 for now and then just resell it down the road if/when the upgrade bug afflicts me...if there's a far superior amp for ~$350-400 I could perhaps go that route.

Note: I was just offered the opportunity to acquire a Lab Gruppen FP6000Q for a crazy good price. Specs, 1500W x 4 channels. I don't know much about their products, but they appear to be top shelf and much better than my budget should allow, much better than my ears deserve.

labgruppen.com/products/fp_plus_series/c/fp_6000q/fp_6000q_intro/

I believe this would also work from my L C R setup as I could biamp them. As long as two channels bridged could crush the EP 2500, I'd go that route. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I don't think you would be highly disappointed with the ep2500. You will get about 2000 actual watts and while it won't push it to its limits, you will be within a couple db of its limits. You will have to pay a good bit more for a new amp that has a lot more power.

What's the rough cost of the amp you may get used?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Note: I was just offered the opportunity to acquire a Lab Gruppen FP6000Q for a crazy good price. Specs, 1500W x 4 channels. I don't know much about their products, but they appear to be top shelf and much better than my budget should allow, much better than my ears deserve.

Buy 2 and I will send you $$$ for one!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now the proud owner of a two month old Lab Gruppen FP6000Q amp! This should definitely do the job.

When I bought the sub, it came with a crappy 8.2 cu ft ported box (designed for car audio) that I am going to turn into a sealed box and test out. Eventually, I'll make a nice enclosure for this sub, as it is well deserving of a better quality, larger space. In the meantime, I have to figure out which cables/connectors to buy to make this amp work. I know I need a Mono Phono Jack to 1/4" Mono Plug Adapter, but there has to be more. Here's a pic of the back:

http://labgruppen.com/standalone/fp_6000q_rear_panel/

Unfortunately, this runs on 220, not 110. I'll have to figure out how to make this work before I plug it in. I don't need fireworks in my man cave. You guys have been very insightful and I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
The amp is 220V only.

Even if you could run on a 110V service the current requirements would be HEAVY duty, be glad you got the 220V version.

Nice amp, the voltage limiting feature will save your aZZ

2x3KW @ 4Ω is some serious power.

I'd love to hear this running my dual Mael-X's.

How much $$$ was it?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Do you have a 220v plug anywhere close to your mounting location?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Nice amp. 220v is a plus, but it is a little inconvenient sometimes. You'll want to use Neutrik Speakon jacks and cables for the amp to sub/speakers . Get the 4 connector variety for flexibility. Pick up RCA to XLR cables from Monoprice or somewhere similar for the pre/pro to LG cable inputs.

As far as the sub. 8 or 9 ft sealed is ok and the sub should handle around 2 to 2.5kw in that enclosure without getting into excursion troubles too bad. Ported it wants a BIG enclosure. 18 cu ft tuned to 16hz with a pair of heavily flared 6" diameter x 28.5" long vents looks fine and should be good on 2000w with a 13 or 14hz HPF. For future reference these are the #'s I found for the rest of that drivers specs.

MMS 270g

CMS 111.5

BL 17.1

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it for $550. My rationale is that if I can use channels 1 & 2 to power my LCR speakers up front and channels 3 & 4 for the sub, I should have more than enough power to disturb the neighbors across the street. If it's too much power (is there such a thing?) then I'll have to cross that bridge another day. If I need to sell it, Neo Dan, I'll PM you first. I bet it would sound amazing in your setup!

I don't have 220 but thankfully my dad is an electrician and said he can make it happen this weekend when my folks come to visit. Woo hoo!

Ricci, I'm going to Wal Mart tonight to buy some pillows to fill the box. 8.2 cu ft is small, yes, but I'll try to make it work. Got the wifie on my case for projects around the house so I'll sneak in some time whenever possible.

Your build really is awe-inspiring, Ricci and I could never hope to replicate something of that caliber. I seriously doubt this setup will leave me wanting more power, but if so, I like the 18 cu ft ported box you suggest...that could definitely work!

Off to order some cables/speakon...hopefully we can get it up and running over the weekend. Thanks all for your input so far. Also, thanks for tracking down that info. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I am the luckiest person in the world. Why, you ask? Because n84china is my brother, and I get to experience his mind-blowing movie room every day! Yesss! Off to get some MDF to seal off his beast of a subwoofer...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy crap, this is the most insane sub/amp combo I could have ever imagined! This thing shakes the foundation of my house and seriously challenges the structural integrity of the building. All the most phenomenal superlatives apply in this situation. I couldn't be happier with my Lab Gruppen amp...and this is running on only 1 of 4 channels! It's clearly too much for what I need and I am most likely on the market for a smaller setup. I have the gain on 1 channel set halfway and it is tearing the house apart like you wouldn't believe. People outside the house have to brace themselves before walking in. I cannot fathom a better setup than this...it is too much, and I never thought there could be such a thing. I am seriously considering downsizing. Wow. Just wow...

I'll try to post pics tomorrow. It's a ghetto-fab setup, but it does the job. We've had dozens of friends over in the last couple weeks and they have left in shock and awe. I couldn't possibly be happier with this setup!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.