AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm going to build a sealed subwoofer and I'm trying to decide between the RE XXX18 and the Dayton Ultimax 18. I intend to pick up a either a Crown XLS 2500 or the Behringger iNuke NU6000DSP to power the subs. My goal is a build a subwoofer that plays with minimal distortion and puts out maximal output between 15-25hz. The room the sub is going in is large with dimensions = 20foot ceiling, 30feet long, and 50 feet wide.

Which subwoofer has less distortion between 15-25hz? Has anyone analyzed the group delay of them? Is the XXX 18 worth almost 4 times the price of the Ultimax 18 i.e., $1,000 vs $279?

Thanks,
Prem

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The XXX will have a lot more xmax certainly, and more power handling. Given its xmax, I would bet it has much less distortion from 15 to 25 hz. That should be its strength as opposed to upper bass regions. There is a plethora of measurements for the XXX at data-bass.com.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XXX will have a lot more xmax certainly, and more power handling. Given its xmax, I would bet it has much less distortion from 15 to 25 hz. That should be its strength as opposed to upper bass regions. There is a plethora of measurements for the XXX at data-bass.com.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Is there a difference between the 4ohm and 2 ohm xxx18 besides the resistance? I intend to drive the subwoofer with a 2 channel amp with each channel putting out a 4 ohm load. Should I purchase the 4ohm version or the 2 ohm version?

Thanks,
Prem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Is there a difference between the 4ohm and 2 ohm xxx18 besides the resistance? I intend to drive the subwoofer with a 2 channel amp with each channel putting out a 4 ohm load. Should I purchase the 4ohm version or the 2 ohm version?

Thanks,
Prem
You will get more watts out of the amp if it is 2 ohm stable. Just match up the driver with the amp specs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That is a wonderfully huge room.
Seating area and sub distribution are going to have a huge impact. You will need quantities of subs to get even coverage in the listening area. You will need to define the listening area.
There are some many good threads here about that one issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Room size

Hi everyone,

The room is a living room which opens up to a large kitchen. The floor plan is wide open and you're right I will need multiple subs to cover it. Is there anything close to the RE XXX 18 in performance? My concern is the driver seems to have been produced since 2010-2011 and might be outdated vs newer drivers.

Thanks again,
Prem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say that one XXX vs one Ultimax 18, is a no-brainer, get the XXX if you only have room for one sub. However, if you have room for more than one sub, why not get, say, three or four Umax 18s? That will kill a singe XXX, no contest.
Hi,

Thanks. I do prefer multiple good subs vs a single great sub. When I work out the price of the XXX 18 with an amp and enclosure I get:
a) Behringer Inuke amp NU6000D = $400
b) good enclosure with parts = $200
c) XXX 18 = $1,000
Total = $1,600

and for $1,600 the equivalent ultimax 18 setup is:
a) Behringer Inuke amp NU6000D = $400
b) 2 good enclosure with parts = $200*2 = $400
c) 2 Ultimax = 280*2 = $560
Total = $1,360
which leaves room for a third ultimax but the amp only has 2 channels and is stable at a minimum of 4 ohms.

Do you think 2 ultimax 18s beats a single XXX18? Are my prices for enclosures accurate? This is my first time building a subwoofer.

Thanks!
Prem

Thanks,
Prem

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
What about the Behringer NU4-6000? That is a 4 channel amp.

A system like that, using your math:
NU4-6000 = $350
Enclosure + parts = 200 x 4 = $800
4 Umax 18s = $1060

total = about $2200

You could save some money on enclosures by placing two drivers per enclosure in a dual-opposed design. That ought to bring the total cost below $2k. That would be a hell of a system. Sure, the Umax drivers could use more power, but by being amp limited at least they will be less likely to be over-driven and you won't have to worry about distortion as much. But at 680 watts per channel, it will still be able to deliver some real SPL per driver, and the bass will be very clean unlike what happens by dumping 3000 watts into a single driver.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The OP needs 4 big vented subs with the Ultimax or SI driver. He also needs the DSP version of the I Nuke. This will kept him from needing a Mini DSP.

Multiple subs is the only way to get good room coverage. Using the four corner of the main viewing area should work. When I tried this, it was almost equal to using the 4 subs in closer proximity. The corners will add a little umph!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I know his room is huge, but he could be okay if his subs aren't too far away. My room is over 5,000 cu ft and my FV15HP's are about 11-12 ft away from the MLP and I get serious tactile feel. Huge rooms can be hard to combat, but subwoofer placement can be key.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
With a room that size you'd need at least 4 18's and corresponding amplification, I wouldn't go with anything less.

1 or 2 ain't gonna be enough me thinks.
2 18's would be a good start though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And why Ricci owns 8 RE XXX subs and he is the one that tested them.
Hi, I read that Josh Ricci does have 8 RE XXX subs. Here's a link to his equipment list http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/22-the-data-bass-member-equipment-list/

My guess is he can have any sub he wants and he's tested most of the subs available. That's a real testament to the XXX. It appears he also has 2 TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultra drivers.

My understanding is below 20hz is largely a function of xmax. My goal is to feel impact and not really hear the bass that much. Does a single RE Audio XXX powered by an Inuke NU6000D in a large sealed enclosure outperform a PB-13 or SB-13 ultra below 20hz? I do intend to run multiple subs. I'm just wondering if the RE XXX ($1,600 with parts) is worth the money compared to the PB-13 Ultra ($2,000) or the SB-13 ($1,599)?

Thanks,
Prem

·
Registered
20,188 Posts
Hi, I read that Josh Ricci does have 8 RE XXX subs. Here's a link to his equipment list http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/22-the-data-bass-member-equipment-list/

My guess is he can have any sub he wants and he's tested most of the subs available. That's a real testament to the XXX. It appears he also has 2 TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultra drivers.

My understanding is below 20hz is largely a function of xmax. My goal is to feel impact and not really hear the bass that much. Does a single RE Audio XXX powered by an Inuke NU6000D in a large sealed enclosure outperform a PB-13 or SB-13 ultra below 20hz? I do intend to run multiple subs. I'm just wondering if the RE XXX ($1,600 with parts) is worth the money compared to the PB-13 Ultra ($2,000) or the SB-13 ($1,599)?

Thanks,
Prem

The SVS subs can't compete with the XXX, no way, no how. It takes about 4 of the sealed SVS subs to equal the REXXX. Of course it takes lots of power and I am not sure how much power than NU6000D can produce. The key is to make a huge box so it does not need as much. It is much cheaper to make a bigger box than to buy a more powerful amp.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What is your budget for a DIY build?

How much space would you be happy to take up?

Are you looking to fill the room with bass or just have the subs relatively nearfield to the main listening position? (I'm not sure the former would even be possible if you're looking for Reference-level output to single digit Hz without taking up some serious space - there must be smaller clubs than your room! lol)

I like the idea of the 24" SI driver - by all accounts they are excellent sound quality, take loads of power, and have prodigious output, and I believe I'm right in thinking they are $999.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts