AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was ready to buy the PA150 until a helpful AVSer let me know a new sub was available. I know this sub is pretty new but for the $400 range I'm stuck.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line voltage  /t/1521492/reaction-bps-212-vs-pa-150#post_24453642

I thought I was ready to buy the PA150 until a helpful AVSer let me know a new sub was available. I know this sub is pretty new but for the $400 range I'm stuck.
Although the RA subs are as of yet untested, if it were my money between those two subs, I'd have to take a gamble on the 212.  Although it depends on your room.  If you have a dimension much over 15-17' I think ported might be preferable.

Reactions: deepat04

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's 21'x11' attached to an 9x9 room. L shaped.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,851 Posts

I would stick with a ported sub for movies.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1521492/reaction-bps-212-vs-pa-150#post_24453917

I would stick with a ported sub for movies.

In most cases, yes. But in the case of the PA-150 (according to Ricci measurements), its tuning frequency is 25 hz and actually starts rolling off at 30hz.

It can be had for cheap and gives good mid-bass output, but it hardly gives you the deep extension you might expect from a ported 15".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying so hard to stay around $400 but I keep getting helped out of it. I keep going back to Hsu but have such a hard time deciding how much to spend on one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw, the reaction might be out. I need grills unless I get creative with placement.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Reaction looks like it has grills now . That is for the Turbo model but maybe they also have them for the regular. I would ask Jeremy in that thread. As for the Reaction vs the PA-150, I would go for the Reaction. It's base response is likely to be flatter, and the PA-150 has a lot of output, but it also has a lot of distortion. The Reaction could be quite a bit cleaner.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1521492/reaction-bps-212-vs-pa-150#post_24457313

The Reaction looks like it has grills now . That is for the Turbo model but maybe they also have them for the regular. I would ask Jeremy in that thread. As for the Reaction vs the PA-150, I would go for the Reaction. It's base response is likely to be flatter, and the PA-150 has a lot of output, but it also has a lot of distortion. The Reaction could be quite a bit cleaner.

Or it could be just as likely not to be.

It certainly seems like the BPS 212 is a good value for $400-and I would "guess" it could be as good a value as the PA-150--but trying to tease out differences between these two subs is a waste of time without more information.

That being said, the one big thing that Reaction Audio has in its favor is that you can talk to the owner and designer, and you would have his support if you had any problems instead of dealing with some retailer for the PA-150. He has been very helpful in answering questions on this forum. That is a big plus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.