AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find out if others are having this problem with the Hughes Platnum E86 HD Receiver. Overall, I think its a great Receiver, but I have seen this one annoying problem with a number of them. When you connect Satellite and an HD OTA Antenna, you first must do a scan for local channels. After about 2 minutes it completes the scan. You will then have locked in the available HD channels in your area. Everything seems fine and dandy, however, days later, the HD locals dissappear. You can go back into the menu, scan the channels again, and everything works fine again. Then several days later; the same thing keeps happening. They dissappear again & again. We are constantly re- scanning the locals. Emails to Hughes regarding this problem go unanswered. They do not respond to this issue. Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have had this problem on & off for the past few years with my e86.

Try this; press the channel advance button on the remote a few times

fast "5-8" times.

Many times this will cause the e86 to hang and reboot, then its time to rescan all over again.

At least the e86 response's to the remote much faster then my Panasonic TU-HDS20.

I just wished the e86 had the PQ of the TU-HDS20.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this has been said a thousand times, but the first question is, do you have a fan on it? I had lots of strange problems with my first E86, which eventually wouldn't pull in OTA well at all, but the replacement, which has always had a fan on top 24/7 has had none of those problems. Don't think you don't need a fan if the unit is outside a cabinet and well ventilated, you still need one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don: Thank you for your suggestion; I will try a fan, however, there is nothing on top of my E86. Now, if only I could find a good source for a 120 VAC Fan at reasonable cost. It seems that most of the fans out there are 12 VDC. I prefer the 120 VAC fans. Also, isn't it strange that Hughes is non-responsive to emails? They have never sent a reply. Makes me wonder about them.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Do you have your zip code set in the correct place??

And do you have it hooked to satellite??

Almost all of my HD locals have the info on channel location and program guide data come in over thru D*.

Only one appears to have PSIP up and running.

I have never had the problem you describe in almost 2 years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I fan is a good idea. That still used to happen to me on occasion, in which case I would punch in the actual digital channel number (for instance if the channel is normally mapped to 36-1 and the actual unmapped digital channel is 21-1, then I would punch in 21-1). That would then bring up the channel and remap it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zip code is in there; Satellite hooked up. It must be an overheating problem like others have suggested here. We have sold a number of the E86's, and others do the same thing. Not every one, however. Just a clarification. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy AC fans for cooling purposes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.