AVS Forum banner

Reading speaker charts

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  craig john 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a pair and when i look at reviews i dont understand what the charts are showing. Is there a link where i can read to explain it or what can you guys tell me? Also how important are the charts? I know the best this is to audition them but i would like to know what im looking when i look at the charts. Also i hear alot about crossover points. DOes that matter when i do my speaker calibration. Will i need to adjust those or does it do it when i do my speaker calibration. Thanks.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hochhalter /forum/post/12923596

I am looking to buy a pair and when i look at reviews i dont understand what the charts are showing. Is there a link where i can read to explain it or what can you guys tell me? Also how important are the charts? I know the best this is to audition them but i would like to know what im looking when i look at the charts. Also i hear alot about crossover points. DOes that matter when i do my speaker calibration. Will i need to adjust those or does it do it when i do my speaker calibration. Thanks.

Maybe it will be here?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=91

#3 ·

Quote:

I am looking to buy a pair and when i look at reviews i dont understand what the charts are showing. Is there a link where i can read to explain it or what can you guys tell me? Also how important are the charts? I know the best this is to audition them but i would like to know what im looking when i look at the charts.

Exactly which "charts" are you looking at? What reviews are you reading? Each reviewer and publication has their own style of measurement and "charts" are not necessarily comparable from one to the next.

Quote:

Also i hear alot about crossover points. DOes that matter when i do my speaker calibration. Will i need to adjust those or does it do it when i do my speaker calibration. Thanks.

If you are using a receiver/pre/pro with Auto-Cal/Auto-Setup, it will set your crossovers for you. However, it's always best to check and reset them if they are not set optimally by the auto routine. In general, all speakers with a -3 dB point of 40 Hz or higher should be set to "Small", (or have a crossover invoked on them). The crossover should be set to a point no more than 1 octave above the -3 dB point for that speaker, (and often less than 1 full octave).

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.