AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering is this scenario was possible and practical:

If you had a tensioned 16:9 (1.78:1) sized screen and had the ability to stop the screen before it fully scrolled down, could you scroll the screen down only so far that a 2.35:1 would fit perfectly on the screen section unrolled?

An assumption would be that you have some lens shifting capability on your projector to move the image up.

If this is possible: without blackout behind the screen and above the screen, would the spill over lighting from the remaining 16:9 image be an annoyance?

· Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't have a commercial electric screen (yet...:)) but have a DIY one. This is similar question to one asked a while back... concerning whether tensioning was maintained throughtout any range of the screen deployment. I think someone (Jason perhaps) indicated that it was. So thus, your first question about deploying the screen only so that 2:35 would "fit" is "Yes".... assuming lens shift or projector adjustment.... and or even a drop down mask (ie. roller blind painted black).

As for your other question, can't help much... depends I guess. On my DIY, I have about 12 in lower mask.... thus I can adjust my screen up wards and still have a black mask at the bottom. I have a valence on at the top that can be used if I want to help mask the top. Hence, my comment to you would be if you haven't ordered a screen yet, order one with a large bottom mask (12 in?) and a large top mask (16 in or more?) so that you adjust you screen in either direction.

Hopefully, some others will add with their experience.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually hadn't even thought as to if the tensioning was maintained throughout any range of the screen deployment. I guess I assumed it was. I am planning to use a Da-Lite Tensioned Advantage Deluxe Electrol.

Does anyone know the answer to this question as well?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.