AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times, but here goes again, please take it easy on me.

My current system dates from the late 90s

HK AVR85 (5.1 system)

Atlantic Tech 350 speaker set (5x surround and 2x subs.) If I shift to 7.1 I can pick up another pair of the AT rears on feebay fairly cheep - they pop up from time to time.

With the exception of an XM player all my audio/video comes via computer - a Linux/MythTV system (spdif & s-vid.)

TV's a Sony 36" from the same era - s-vid.

I've ripped all my CDs & DVDs to hard disk so I never have to hunt thru boxes. TV is also recorded (Myth is a DVR) Myth even streams internet radio.

The way I used the HK was pretty much set it and forget it, I control everything thru the computer and only do major volume changes at the HK. Occasionally I'll switch the HK to listen to the XM player.

Sadly the HK had pooped the bed. It's been getting quieter over the years which no one can explain so I finally took it apart to see if I could find the problem. I found nothing wrong, but when I put it back together the first time it had lost the center and two rear channels. On the second try I managed to get it to no longer power on. It's in for service now, but I do not have high hopes it's salvageable.

So I'm on the research hunt for something new.

I've always lusted after the Denon 5xxx models, but always found them out of the range of what I was willing to spend considering what I had still worked. Current model high on the 'lusting after' list is the Denon AVR4308CI.

However I freely admit that while I'd like to have the raw power I do NOT need all this capacity and could probably get by with a lot less as long as it had really good sound - I could probably even get by with no video and simply connect the computer directly to the TV.

The reality is that I've gone to a computer so all I'd really need is a good processor and single input (optical or coax spdif & s-vid) to handle my current needs and a single hdmi for future needs. Since hdmi is not well supported in computers and hardly at all in Linux the 'future' need is still probably years away.

A new TV is likely to happen sooner.

I want excellent sound, the 450s can handle a lot of power and I do like to rattle the windows. The $1500+ for the 4308CI is really pushing the budget, I'd really like to be in the sub $1k range.

I'm wide open to suggestions and assistance and even used units if someone has something that would fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Well.....my personal choice would be a Marantz SR 8002. Lots of power....but more importantly, a torroidal power supply. That means lots of headroom and effortless dynamics. SQ is great. They work without any glitches (that I've found). Hook it up. Set up your outputs. Run Audysey, and you're set. I'm on my 2nd one. Got rid of my SR 8200 for no other reason than I wanted HDMI hookups and high res audio capabilities. It was still running strong when I sold it. I'd suggest going to www.ac4l.com and save a couple of bucks to buy a refurb. I've dealt with them several times in the past. Their refurbs are all top notch and they're very helpful.

Another choice would be a Pioneer Elite 94 TXH. A little light in the loafers in the power supply dept, but plenty powerful, nonetheless. Again, works right out of the box without firmware updates. Set up is the same as Marantz...easy-peazy except you do room correction using their proprietary MCACC. I've had some of their previous generations of AVRs. All of them good. Close in sound to the Marantz.

See some of the forum sponsors to get a good price.

Onkyo is popular. But, I've tried their 805 and found it harsh sounding. Some find that they run way too hot, also.

Denon is also popular. I've never had any extensive experience with the 5xxx series.

I've found Sony's AVRs to be weak kneed when it comes to dynamics.

Have no experience with any other brands/models.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Just buy one of the new low end receivers(Pio 1018-$450, Onk 606-$350, Yammi 663-$350 ..etc) and use the pre-outs for a nice used Rotel($500 or Emotiva amp-$400). You won't get any more value than those combinations for under a grand.

Oops, I am not sure if the Onk has pre-outs or not. If not then cross that one off the list.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/14166409

Just buy one of the new low end receivers(Pio 1018-$450, Onk 606-$350, Yammi 663-$350 ..etc) and use the pre-outs for a nice used Rotel($500 or Emotiva amp-$400). You won't get any more value than those combinations for under a grand.

Oops, I am not sure if the Onk has pre-outs or not. If not then cross that one off the list.

Nope, you have to move to the 7XX series and above for pre outs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
"Lots of power....but more importantly, a torroidal power supply. That means lots of headroom and effortless dynamics."

I don't think "torroidal power supplies" has anything to do with headroom or "effortless dynamics."

Headroom, power beyond your normal listening level, comes from having enough power. To get more power, you build a power powerful power supply and add more output device capability (more transistors, or transistors with a higher output.)

"Effortless" dynamics would be achieved by having enough power that you stay in the low distortion part of the power/distortion "curve."

A torroidal transformer does have benefits. But an increase in power is not one of them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/14166581

"Lots of power....but more importantly, a torroidal power supply. That means lots of headroom and effortless dynamics."

I don't think "torroidal power supplies" has anything to do with headroom or "effortless dynamics."

Headroom, power beyond your normal listening level, comes from having enough power. To get more power, you build a power powerful power supply and add more output device capability (more transistors, or transistors with a higher output.)

"Effortless" dynamics would be achieved by having enough power that you stay in the low distortion part of the power/distortion "curve."

A torroidal transformer does have benefits. But an increase in power is not one of them.

Argh, please, can't we get this one right? There's only one "r" in toroidal.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
God knows I will try to spell better in the future

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It turns out the HK is dead, or at least not worth repairing. The digital board has pooped the bed.

Currently using my 40+yr old amp so I have some sound, but am on the hunt for surround.

Highly attracted to the Denon 4308CI, but not so attracted to the $1500 price tag.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yah, I don't see any pre-outs or ins on the Yamaha 663! Therefore no direct input for computer analog soundcard.

Edit: I found them at the top center of rear panel. They are not color coded like I am used to. They are all red or white.

·
Registered
47 Posts

MichaelJHuman;14166581 ... A torroidal transformer does have benefits. But an increase in power is not one of them.[/QUOTE said:
What are some of the benefits? Not disputing, at all, just learning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
To get the same power out of an EI transformer as opposed to a Toroidal it would need

to be considerably larger and thats probably why all high end gear uses Toroidal and

less noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts