AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all the components in my HTPC up and running well, but now I'm ready for the hard part, making it easy enough for my family to use...

I'm thinking I need an IR Tranciever and Blaster such as this product: http://www.sunbeltindustries.com/si_irblaster.htm

I've looked at IRMan, and that seems to be an option, but the RealMagic Remote ( http://www.realmagic.com/products/remote_control.htm ) looks to be the same thing, plus its only $19.

I'm not interested in the Pronto, since you have to take your eyes off the screen so frequently to use it.

So I think my current plan is to use something like the IRBlaster above and RealMagic Remote (along with Girder of course).

-MM

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am unsure if I understand your intentions fully but...

I don't think the realmagic remote is supported natively in Girder (could well be wrong but its not listed on the site) and although you might get lucky in tricking the serial plugin to recognize the serial commands from the Rx I would feel that the extra $20 or so for a IRMan is money well spent... I am unsure if you could get lucky and that this remote is the same as the Hollywood+ but again I would double check this before getting something that is incompatible or requires a lot of work to get right...

Secondly I understand the desire to use IR out but am not sure how you intend to integrate the IRBlaster that you link to... Again this is not (AFAIK) supported by Girder so you would need to have girder fire the output commands after catching the Rx IR or be running what looks like 2 IR hardware options at the same time...

If you only want IR in my advice is IRMan...

If you want basic IR out get a RedRat2...

If you need multi zoned IR out (plus X10) get an IRXpander...

Although basic application control is possible with Girder and regular remote, if you really intend to do away with a keyboard I feel that a pronto or similar 'power' remote is essential to let you design screens applicable to the application you are controlling. Of course if you are still going to keep the keyboard / mouse as well and just want it for basic 'pause' 'play' etc functions then it does the job fine... For me I now have a setup where the keyboard / mouse is only required for installs and config and the pronto can handle all the rest...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Phreddy,

I left out the part that I wanted to control my Onkyo reciever via IR. (Although basically all I need to control are the volume and power/suspend features).

I'll take your advice on the IRMan. And go with the RedRat2 next time I feel like spending more money to keep from getting off the couch... ;)

However, when I get to that point I may just go with the "Ocelot Smart Home Theatre Controller":

http://www.automatedliving.com/cf/sh...mproductid=164

It appears to be used pretty extensively by many of the Home Automation companies. Anyone here using it?

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
514 Posts
jcase (forum member) is working with other Girder developers to support the UIRT...I know he's built some of these already, so he may be able to make and sell you one - or at least help out with the programmed chip needed to build one. You'll have to pm him and plead your case.

I think that in the long run, the UIRT may be the way to go.

Evation (of the IRMAN fame) are working on the Tirco, which is a 2 way IR device. I don't know whether this is compatible with the UIRT or not, or how well supported by girder it will be. I'd guess that a lot of the IRMAN sales have been spurred by girder - certainly Evation know of and recommend girder, so I'd imagine that the Tirco developers are bearing this in mind. No news on price or date yet..

Note that if you build a UIRT yourself, you should read the UIRT thread at girder.nl. They found some teething issues with Ruud's design that they had to iron out. I don't know if Ruud updated his web page..

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you are only looking for something simple (like one additional item) then any learning remote will handle the task...

Re the Tirco.. This product has been in development and ready RSN since I started with HTPC 18 months ago... I would not wait on this one...

A multi zone PCI card like this one would make for a great HTPC card and I would sign up in a new york minute if we could get Girder in and multizone out... Shame its Mac only !!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi,

I think I have been in a similar situation. You want to have a single remote control (hard button) and allow everyone to use the functionality of the equipment you have.

First of all I think Girder ( www.girder.nl ) is the way to go. It's free and you can adopt it to your requirements (functions) and the remote control you may already have.

Secondly you want with a single keypress that all the equipment you have is set as your family wants. Therefor not only IR reception but also output. A single button on the remote control and the PC handles everything. For that reason you were given a link to http://people.a2000.nl/rwvgesse/ . This device is IRman compatible for reception AND can transmit IR signals to other AV devices. Secondly if you're able to build the device yourself, programming the onboard PIC is simple. Remove a jumper, run a program, add jumper and you're done. you don't even have to change any cabling.

I think I'm heading in the same direction as you, give a unique RC code to the PC and have the PC handle everything from that point onwards. Some notes however;

1) personally I (still) have some problems in programming the UIRT via a W2K machine (tried 4). Under W9x or ME it works without any problem. So after you build the device, use a W98/ME based PC to program the PIC. It's really simple

2) I have not yet been able to get the transmitting led's to work yet. I believe this is because of a failure from my side. The supplied software for the transmitting part really fits in the user interface idea from Girder. I think it's easy to use, but you will need to 'play' a little.

3) This refers to my last part. You have to 'learn' Girder. Personally I think it is the most versatile program to control any Windows application via normal (existing) remote control. You must however do some 'programming'. There are 2 steps to make;

3a) First learn the key YOU want to use for a certain function, to initiate the Girder activity. This is very simple, go to the desired function, press the 'learn' button and then the button on your remote control, you or your family wants to use.

3b) Girder is using so called 'groups' for different applications. You can download and import these groups into your Girder directory for the programs you want to control. Now sometimes these 'pre-programmed' groups don't work the way. This is mostly caused because your using different installation directories or different versions. The easiest way to resolve this is to follow the 'structure' of the imported group and adapt it to your local settings. When you're able to do that, Girder is your and your families best fried. You can make it as personal as you want.

finally the forum for www.girder.nl is in english ;) Typical dutch.

rgrds,

Wykat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.