AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with this buzz BS? I was all ready to buy the P5uy last year, kept reading the forum, and the buzz thing killed the deal.

2003 - All fired up to buy the 6uy, at a great price, then the BUZZ thing again. Is this for real? How could a $3000 TV have such a blaring fault? Is everyone hearing it super-sensative? Or is P6uy still unperfected technology?

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I own a 5UY and there is no perceptible buzz. I auditioned a 503CMX and there was a terrible buzz. YMMV... But I've never had a problem with my Panasonic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the 6UY and can't complain about buzz. I think some people are overly critical. Sure, I MIGHT be able to hear buzz at midnight and with nothing else in the house plugged in and on, but the second I turn on speakers I can't hear a thing. I spend a lot of time working at my computer which is only 30" away from the screen, and there is zero buzz when I'm there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are three explanations I can imagine for why some people hear the buzz while others (myself included) never hear it unless we're right next to the display:

1. Some sets are louder than others

2. Mounting makes a difference (mine is on a stand and I hear nothing)

3. Some people are really, really sensitive to buzz

Aaron

·
Registered
322 Posts
It really depends on the setup (stand vs. wall mount) and the acoustics of your room.

Aaron is completely right with his 3 points.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jamie,

Is there some way we could ask people what their altitudes were, and if their plasma buzzes, without making the most boring thread ever?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcatlga
What is the deal with this buzz BS? I was all ready to buy the P5uy last year, kept reading the forum, and the buzz thing killed the deal.

2003 - All fired up to buy the 6uy, at a great price, then the BUZZ thing again. Is this for real? How could a $3000 TV have such a blaring fault? Is everyone hearing it super-sensative? Or is P6uy still unperfected technology?

Thanks
Don't worry about it! Believe me, it's not that big of a deal! I own the 42" 5UZ Panasonic and yes, if you put your head up to it, or if you're sitting 8 feet away in DEAD silence, you can hear a SLIGHT buzz on BRIGHT scenes mostly. Believe me, it is slight, and you really have to be listening for it. You won't be dissappointed with your purchase. Just exchange it for a different one if you think your's happens to buzz too much! Some CRT TV's buzz more than the sound you will hear! Relax!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have the 6UZ, and even when I place my ear next to the set I can't hear a buzz.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, thats what I was hopi g to hear...I think some people who spend this much on a TV may be a little paranoid and have an initial touch of buyer's remorse...looking for a reason to return the unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mwcatlga,

I was one that complained about the buzzing but I'm definately not having buyers remorse. I love the set I'm sure you probably will too.

Besides my problem was with the HD model and I think you're talking about getting the ED one.

When I had the ED it was extremely quiet and the picture is excellent.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Might be of interest - I disconnected the speakers on my akai while it was on and it buzzed until I replaced the screws and tightened them. You might want to try giving each of the screws on the back of your set a little tightening/loosening and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.