AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am ready to upgrade my receiver and need help selecting between the following:

Onkyo TX-SR806

Yamaha RX-V1900

Yamaha RX-V1800

Pioneer VSX-03TXH

In terms of what I am looking for in a receiver, I want it to be able to play all the newest codecs (True HD, DTS-HD) and support HDMI. The receiver will eventually be used in a home automation setting so an RS-232C port will be required. I need at least one extra zone with pre-outs (I will eventually integrate an external amp to handle whole house audio - the multi zone solution will come with extra hardware). I also would like THX support if at all possible.

Any suggestions? I have listened to the Onkyo TX-SR806 and was pleased with its performance.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
276 Posts
My cousin who works for AMX has had only the best things to say about the new Onkyo receivers in terms of use in home automation so if you were happy with the performance I would definitely recommend it. I had a 705 and was happy with its performance as well, overall I feel the Onkyos are very solid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have heard, read and experienced a lot of reliability issues with the Onkyo line. Not saying they aren't good receivers but I personally would stay away from them for these reasons. Why isn't Denon on your list?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The RX-V1900 has a few nice features. I am pretty happy with my RX-V3900.

With Yamaha, you will get YPAO. Some people think Audyssey is better. It would be very hard to make a direct comparison.

I would think the 1900 puts out a fair amount of power, based on my experience with the 3900. The remote on the 3900 is not the best of designs, IMO. If you like a good tuner, I think the 3900's tuner seems pretty decent, and I would think the 1900 uses the same tuner circuitry (as I believe it also has HD radio.)

Sorry, I can't add more useful info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.