AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current hardware - Onkyo Tx-ds777 , with Diva speakers by Swans. My DVD player is an off the shelf Best Buy Samsung DVD player.

Want to get the NEC Lt150 with a DaLite Hi power screen vs. getting a HDTV.

Will i need other hardware to hook up the DVD player to the Lt150, or will i beed a new DVD player?

Ok, yup, i need some help....Thanks.:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, help a bud out. I thought there were no stupid questions....or did i just ask the first one? ;)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
1) 20 foot VGA breakout cable: www.a2zcables.com for $40 (VGA goes into LT150 and component end goes into DVD player. Of course you'll need good VGA cables if you go with HTPC instead of Prog. DVD player. www.pccables.com has good VGA cables for cheaper (15 footer male to male VGA for $14) than a2z but they don't have component breakout. While you're here at these cable sites, might as well pick up a long, quality Svideo and composite cables for other sources (SVHS, VHS, or video game consoles).

2) Progressive DVD player: Panasonic RP56 for $220 at most places direct--more locally.

3) HTPC will really let LT150 shine if so you don't need #2. Search HTPC forum for details, questions, and FAQ.

4) VGA switch box to switch between HD receiver and LT150. KVM makes a cheap manual one that's adequate. Kramer's or Extron's are better but is more expensive.

5) If you have VHS or analog cable you want to watch get a SVHS type by JVC and run it into LT150 Svideo in. This won't be as nice as feeding HTPC using capture card with Svideo input like the IOMagic PVR card at CompUSA for $40 and using Dscaler software (free) which deinterlace at PC level before going into LT150 which has a mediocre deinterlacer and scaler built-in.

6) HDTV receiver like Dish 6000 or RCA DTC-100 for Direct TV. They usually cost about $500 new. You'll need special dish too so ask your satellite installer. Off The Air HDTV (still need HDTV receiver) may be your best bet if you live near big city. External antenna will give you the best OTA HDTV.

7) Screen--make your own or buy one. Dalite Model B Hipower is best for table-mount mode ($300 for 96" wide, manual pull-down). Ceiling mount mode won't benefit as much from Hipower screen. You may as well get Matte White model ($150 for manual pull-down 96" wide). AVS can sell you a nice screen reasonably--if not they'd match any legitimate and reasonable price. Check screen forum if you want to make one.

8) If you ceiling mount, you'd need a mounting kit. Peerless has one for around $200. Some make their own (search here for details). Ceiling mount mode creates more heat so fan goes high speed which means more high pitch noise. Hushbox may be needed. Some make their own (search here too). Others buy one ready-made ( www.whisperflow.com for around $500 but it's pretty classy looking).

9) Ring for wife as she's gonna kill you :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am currently running my LT-150 with a www.cellarcinemas.com HTPC. My other option was a 4 year old Sony DVD player that I thought was prettty good but the HTPC picture is much better.

I also like the fact that a HTPC allows me to use Dscaler to line double NTSC sources.

As far as HD, I plan on getting Dish satellite service which offers 4 HD channels. In order to do this I think I need a high quality video switcher like the Extron.

If you do not want to go the HTPC route, the RP901 (Panasonic I think) has been getting good comments for use with this projector. I guess if you are only going to use it for DVD's, and do not want to deal with a HTPC, then this would be the easiest way. If you want to watch NTSC sources, then seriously look at a HTPC, since the cost of a DVDO or similar will end up being higher for lesser results (when you add in the cost of the DVD player).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. Now to call the wife and xplain things....;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.