AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have any HD-DVD player or blueray. Amazon.com sells the A30 for $156 right now. The price is right. I am ready to order it but i have a few quick questions. My Yamaha 6.1 receiver doesnt have HDMI. My LCD tv Samsung does. What are the options i have to connect the a30 to my non-HDMI receiver? Or there is better player out there for my receiver? I dont plan to upgrade my receiver anytime soon. Thanks

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
If you want the best audio from your receiver and assuming it has 5.1 analog inputs you might want to consider the A35 which provides 5.1 analog output. Otherwise, you can connect the TV with HDMI and the receiver with Toslink and get either DD or DTS out depending on what audio is available with any given title.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I would get the A35, is has Analog 5.1 Out for full TrueHD and DD+ decoding in the player that also bitstreams all audio codecs via HDMI for future receiver upgrade.

The only option for good audio with the A30 and non-HDMI receiver is SPDIF that down-converts TrueHD and DD+ to basic DTS. I have the A1 with both SPDIF and Analog 5.1 connected to my non-HDMI receiver and Analog 5.1 HDM always sounds better than SPDIF (FYI, both SPDIF and Analog 5.1 are calibrated). If I was upgrading my A1 it would be the XA2 or A35 for analog 5.1 out.

....Angelo

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2121 /forum/post/12950501

I dont have any HD-DVD player or blueray. Amazon.com sells the A30 for $156 right now. The price is right. I am ready to order it but i have a few quick questions. My Yamaha 6.1 receiver doesnt have HDMI. My LCD tv Samsung does. What are the options i have to connect the a30 to my non-HDMI receiver? Or there is better player out there for my receiver? I dont plan to upgrade my receiver anytime soon. Thanks

Hey, if the price is right (and an issue), the A30 would likely be fine for you. The HDMI can go to your TV and you can take an optical cable from the A30 to your receiver for the 6.1. Believe me, for the money involved, an optical cable still gives you some great audio (even better than DVD quality 5.1 it seems) I doubt you will regret it, especially considering how much money was invested (i.e. not a lot!). Sure, HDMI input is superior, but it takes some money for a new receiver. Furthermore, even if analog audio is better, the A35 is more money so you have to decide if the possible better audio is really worth an extra 50% etc. etc.

Just remember, if you use an optical cable (Toslink or SPDIF) with the A30, you will want to turn your Samsung all the way down so you don't get an echo. Samsung TVs also have an internal Mute option, if you want to play around with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts