Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

OK, after months of trolling these boards and seeing different displays here in NY City, I have settled on the Fujitsu P42HHA30WS 42" display.

I will be pairing it with the Denon 3803 receiver and possibly the Pioneer 563 dvd player.

I guess the question I have is if there are any bad reports floating around about these units, most specifically the plasma display.

Thanks, I appreciate all of your help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can't go wrong with Fujitsu! If you are mostly watching SD and DVD's consider the Fujitsu P42VHA30WS and you could save about $1500 with little or no discernable difference in PQ.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I checked out the Fujitsu ED display, but figured since I am spending he cash, I might as well go for it and get the HD display, plus, I plan on using Time Warner's HD service, as sorry as it is.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
debaser, I see you don't have PM's enabled... I was going to share some pricing info on the 50" side which might be competitive with what you might've found in NYC on the 42"... if interested, email me and I'll reply with it. If not, you'll enjoy the Fujitsu. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pull the trigger.

I got that same plasma (or the "exact same," as the kids say) a few weeks ago, and although my receiver and DVD player are not the same as yours, I do get my HD through Time Warner Cable, which whom I have no complaints.

The DVI cable connection is excellent, although the first cable box I had came with an inoperative DVI output. TWC swapped the box in a day and everything now works very well. The service guy did say that happens every once in a while, they don't know why.

I have two TiVos and I also record some shows (HBO) on VHS, and the Picture Quality is amazing. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between HD and crap coming off the TiVo (especially when the HD is a football game PLAYED IN THE SNOW!!!!)

I have not seen a lot of other sets for comparison purposes, but I cannot imagine that they could be any better at rendering SD. I use "Wide 1" almost all the time and can't imagine ever going back to square TV again. As soon as the TWC HD PVR shows up, I will really be in business.

I am quite pleased with the Fujitsu HD unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, thanks for the info... I was wondering about the tivo solution, as I have one as well. My wife and I are really looking forward to getting the TV.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here's what I am doing with the TiVo.

A few years ago, I had a top cable guy come to the house and he measured, tuned, amplified (where necessary), split (where necessary) and generally tweaked all my cables so that the signal going to each device was at peak form all the way across the spectrum. I don't know what he did, but he used an expensive meter and the result was that the picture on every tv and device in the house was excellent.

I think this is important because the larger size of the plasma screen and the scaling and the zooming and whatnot makes it important to start with the best signal you can get.

With respect to the TiVo, all I did was switch to Silver Serpent S Video cables from the regular Rat Shack S Video cables I was using before. (I use 3: one from each TiVo to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the plasma set -- I use the receiver as a switcher, which is a pretty common setup.)

I think these cables, which are costly, give a better picture, but I have not gone back and forth to test them. They have a excellent reputation, however, and are sold by Bettercables, which has ads here.

I find that the results can vary with the show. Some shows, especially older movies or low-light scenes, can appear a little grainy, while brightly lit or outdoor scenes can be so clear they almost look like HD.

As for HD, it looks like magic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent... I switched at one point from regular old rca cables to monsters and could see a noticable difference... I think when I get new cables for my new things I will give bettercables.com a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.