AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally ready to purchase my projector, and had already set my sights on the Panasonic PT-AE700u, but with CEDIA right around the corner, I have to ask:

Let's say the rumors are right and they unveil the new line of LCD's using the D5 panels and announce a new generation of better-quality 720p's (AE800, Z4, etc)or even a 1080p (??). How long before:

(a) These new models hit the streets?

(b) These new models drive down the prices on current models?

I assume that just because something is unveiled that it's not ready for sale immediately, but if anyone can give me some insight on to the likely scenarios to help me make my purchase decision, I'd sure be appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Welocome to the forum!

I can't speculate as to what is going to be "unveiled", but I do know that the current pricing for todays pj's are going to go down....how far down I don't know...I suppose they need to make a little money. Maybe someone else here has some answers for you, but my advice is to wait until cedia. It's worth the wait and if somthing revolutionary comes out in your price range, you'd be sorry you bought now. The D5 panels will be an anticipated thing to see!

Good Luck,

KBMAN

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Historically, word has spread about the hot new models a couple months before they start shipping & prices on the replaced models start to soften a month or so before the new product becomes available as dealers close out their inventory of the old model. Of course there are exceptions, but that is a reasonable rule of thumb.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I would hope that by the holiday season that the new models will be available and the older models will have price breaks. If that happens, then I might consider selling my H31 and go with a 720 DLP.

·
Registered
676 Posts
1080P isn't goin to fall from 25kish to2kish over night so What ever happens to replace the Current 720P LCD's will most likly be more 720P's with the higher contrast that the D5 can deliver.

there will be propbably more 1080P offererings just nothing affordable

imo.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Actually they kind of do. There has always been a very high discrepency between pricing.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First of all the 1080p RPTVs at 5K are not really 1080p, just 1080p capable. There are supposed to be some announcements (rumored) by the eng of August.

If the last 2 years are any indication, the first of the new PJs won't be out until late November or early December, with some spilling into January or February.

The Z3, for instance, has been dropping in price, slowly, but steadily since it's release (it just dropped another 10% a week ago). My guess is that there will be a bigger price drop after the new PJs start hitting the streets at the end of this year. Panasonic AE700 has held their prices a little longer (at least the advertised ones).

·
Registered
325 Posts

You'd better check out the RPTV thread on the new Sony SXRD RPTVs - they are as 1080p as the Qualia. The description is available on the Crutchfield.

Actually, no. If you look at the 720p, there is hardly any price discrepancy between FPs and RPTVs (the ones talked about in this forum anyways). If anything, the under-3500 FPs are lower than many of the DLP RPTVs.

My guess is that the days of 25K FPs are just about history.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
You'd better check out the RPTV thread on the new Sony SXRD RPTVs - they are as 1080p as the Qualia. The description is available on the Crutchfield.
if the RPTV is

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
wohlstad, look at the DLP prices historically and understand why I say there has been a great deal of varience between the two types of technologies. It really has been little more than an artificial price control by limitting the availability of the chips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
 SXRD RPTV @$5K

Qualia 004 FP @$27K --> ??

Don't have to be a genius to fill in the blank. If Sony get SXRD defect densities down, it's a lot of 0.61 SXRD chips/wafer. How many 004s have they sold to date anyway? 004 and 006 are boutique products facing no (almost) competition for over a year, but this is about to change. Do you really think Sony will be able to hold its pricing in the face of cheap 1080p RPTVs?

DLP is now a maturing mass-market technology and as with all maturing mass-market commodities the prices head only one way.

All I'm saying is that mass-produced under-5K 1080p RPTVs are about to flood the market this Fall. I can see how the FP makers would like to milk the market with 1080p FPs, but they haven't been able to do that with 720p and my guess they will not be able to do it with 1080p either.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I think you're not taking enough of a historical view. That, and you're discounting the apathy of the average consumer.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
wasn't the 006 more like 8k? and I know the 004 is 30k, 27k+3k lens so that is the smallest it is, if you want all three lenses it is 27+3+3+3=36k, but no lens does not make any sense.

but let's say 13K->5k, (around 1/3) and 30k->10K (around 1/3) that is still a far cry from 2k 1080p FP

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses!

I didn't think that there would be overnight changes, but I wanted to make sure since it's so close.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Panny now and then if something earthshaking comes along in the next 6 months I can upgrade.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That's why I pulled the trigger on my MT700 (when I got a good price on a slightly used one). But, CEDIA is only a month away, and prices of existing PJs should drop again with the new announcements (you should be able to save around 10% on your purchase -- they're already starting to drop now).

Plus in the intervening time you can read up on screens, DVD players, and surround sound systems (if you don't have some of those already). They'll all effect your viewing experience.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Not to mention that assumes there will be much excitement and consumer activity surrounding next gen formats, I for one don't see HD-DVD or BluRay taking off til at least 2 years after launch (optimistically).

If you can't wait then there is no point in doing so, get your PJ and be happy with it, maybe upgrade when the bulb dies or something along those lines.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.